House prices.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Did a test posting pictures and no issue with them being the correct way up? I dragged them from File explorer into "Insert image".

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Did a test posting pictures and no issue with them being the correct way up? I dragged them from File explorer into "Insert image".
It’s a random feature as it affected Dusty and when I posted the same picture into a new thread it went in with the correct orientation from the original unedited photo. So what changed bertween two postings but two different threads?

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It’s a random feature as it affected Dusty and when I posted the same picture it went in with the correct orientation from the original unedited photo. So what changed between two postings but two different threads?
I have never had the issue on this thread or any others however as you stated you tried and it posted sideways, I thought I would try the same thread as your issue, but no issue. Very strange?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have never had the issue on this thread or any others however as you stated you tried and it posted sideways, I thought I would try the same thread as your issue, but no issue. Very strange?
Its this thread that had the issue of faulty orientation but Dusty’s occurred on a completely different thread when he posted pictures of his cleaned caravan. Others have had it too as I notice them sometimes. Hopefully the PCv web team can find a solution.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
My friend is just about to sell his mother in laws house as she recently died. The family wondered if it would pay them to brighten it up with a coat of paint. He took an estate agent round yesterday who advised to get it on the market asap as prices are set to crash.

Bear in mind. This was an estate agent saying this. He might just be after a quicker turn around.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My friend is just about to sell his mother in laws house as she recently died. The family wondered if it would pay them to brighten it up with a coat of paint. He took an estate agent round yesterday who advised to get it on the market asap as prices are set to crash.

Bear in mind. This was an estate agent saying this. He might just be after a quicker turn around.

John
A coat of paint? Where ? Getting our house ready for sale 3 years ago was a time consuming act and it wasn’t in anything like jaded condition. But it was a slow market in late 2018. Are you thinking of external or internal and where is the line to be drawn? If it’s empty just ensure it is clean as anyone interested in buying will undoubtedly have their own take on the decor.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
A coat of paint? Where ? Getting our house ready for sale 3 years ago was a time consuming act and it wasn’t in anything like jaded condition. But it was a slow market in late 2018. Are you thinking of external or internal and where is the line to be drawn? If it’s empty just ensure it is clean as anyone interested in buying will undoubtedly have their own take on the decor.

The estate agent dissuaded them from doing any work. But the original idea was nothing more than white emulsion on all walls and ceilings. The TV seem to recommend this. But it does depend on the state of the market.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The estate agent dissuaded them from doing any work. But the original idea was nothing more than white emulsion on all walls and ceilings. The TV seem to recommend this. But it does depend on the state of the market.

John
A house near us had been rented to the same family for 20 years, but the owner died and her family decided to put it for sale. It’s interior was clean but tired. It sold within a week. Better to let prospective buyers see it as is, assuming it’s not a tip, rather than a rushed paint job, which the buyers will doubtless change. That’s what I did with my fathers place in 2019, and it didn’t hang around.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site

John
Honestly John, wallpapering over cracks, semi amateur paint job may actually turn people off🤔🤔

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Honestly John, wallpapering over cracks, semi amateur paint job may actually turn people off🤔🤔

DD I was only reporting what my friends brother in law wanted to do, and what the so called experts on the tv suggest.

But I have built many houses in my time. It was normal practice to fully paint them, usually white ceilings and magnolia walls. Only done to improve sales and price.

I would personally take each situation as it comes. But I do know that when furniture is removed from a ‘lived in house’. What is left can appear very grubby? I have not even seen the house in question.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
DD I was only reporting what my friends brother in law wanted to do, and what the so called experts on the tv suggest.

But I have built many houses in my time. It was normal practice to fully paint them, usually white ceilings and magnolia walls. Only done to improve sales and price.

I would personally take each situation as it comes. But I do know that when furniture is removed from a ‘lived in house’. What is left can appear very grubby? I have not even seen the house in question.

John
New houses are totally different to a pre owned house, they can hardly be sold with bare plaster walls, and white/magnolia is the colour of choice because what else would be suitable in the circumstances? Will your friend be changing carpets if they appear old, or remove them? Grouting in tiled areas etc? Where is the line to be drawn.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
New houses are totally different to a pre owned house, they can hardly be sold with bare plaster walls, and white/magnolia is the colour of choice because what else would be suitable in the circumstances? Will your friend be changing carpets if they appear old, or remove them? Grouting in tiled areas etc? Where is the line to be drawn.

As I have said already, the estate agent suggested doing nothing and that is the advice they have taken.

I have no thoughts on the matter never having seen the property.

There can be no right way of going about prep for selling, every one will be different. My Grandson just paid £230,000 for a small house with a massive garden. It has not seen a drop of paint for 20 years or more. It is structurally sound. The sellers of this could have spruced it up and turned it into a liveable property for a couple of thousand and may well have sold it for £240,000. As it is, it suits the Grandson who has a £50,000 budget to improve it and a hell of a lot of energy.

John

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
A detached bungalow came up near us someone had died the son had it rewired and cleaned and put up it was sold in the first hour . the new owners are already painting it to there colors inside and out .

JB1

Aug 4, 2022
Visit site
For my two pennies worth, in my experience Estate agents virtually never advise anyone to do any work, then they can’t be blamed for a property not selling quickly or at the agreed price plus they just want the property on their books. So delaying the process sellers can change their mind May be use a different agent or even sell to someone who notices the house is being worked on etc. For what it costs for a quick re dec, to make a property clean and fresh for someone to buy is always a sensible option. Would you go to sell your car washed or dirty. I work in the rental market and a property presented as best as it can be, always gets better tenants and a higher price, I think the same is for a sale properties. Either way good luck with you sale.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure why new replies are being added to a post that's 7 months old.
A potential spammer added a post earlier, maybe to test our state of alert as they do.
I deleted it and now for some strange reason new replies are being added, but the original issue has been resolved.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I'm not sure why new replies are being added to a post that's 7 months old.
A potential spammer added a post earlier, maybe to test our state of alert as they do.
I deleted it and now for some strange reason new replies are being added, but the original issue has been resolved.
The spam posting causes the thread to appear in "New Content" which in turn causes someone who missed the original thread to read it and respond, without noticing the dates.

I don't know what proportion of us use "New Content" but it's the easiest was of seeing new postings, rather than working through sub-forums.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As a follow up to the OP. Daughter and family rented a home in the next village and later this year they will be looking around for their own home if they cannot buy the rented property. In addition they will know the area a lot better and will be able to make an informed decision on location etc. (y):D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts