How difficult to erect awning?

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi

Second trip away with first caravan planned for 10 days time. Just ordered an awning today (Corsican). I've heard of people taking hours to put together an awning and I'm a bit worried. Should I try and erect it before I depart or should I just go for it on site (in france). Thing is, its in a caravan storage site so its a bit of a pain to get over there. Manoeuvre caravan out and into adjacent field (CL site actually), setup, take apart and put caravan back.

I suppose I'm answering it myself really aren't I? I've got to try it before I go I suppose. Chances of any parts being missing????

Also, what 'extras' should I buy for the awning? Do I need these 'tie down' straps? Do I need any extra bits of kit such as extra pegs or anything?

I'm completely in nthe dark here.

Thanks for any tips.

Ian

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Your awning probably came with plastic pegs but, if you use hard standings, you will need steel pegs. The Caravan Club generally has these available at site offices at a cost of (I think) 50p each. They are essential on hard standings!

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Your awning probably came with plastic pegs but, if you use hard standings, you will need steel pegs. The Caravan Club generally has these available at site offices at a cost of (I think) 50p each. They are essential on hard standings!
Sorry, just noticed you have still to receive your awning. I should have also said I hammer the pegs in with a wooden mallet - larger surface area than a hammer so less likely to miss the peg!

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Ian

I am new to caravanning. I bought a 2 year old Bailey Pageant 3 months ago and I negotiated a full size awning. My first trip was to Beechwood Grange in York. As I live in Sheffield, the first trip was short. I did not put the awning up on this trip as I wanted to get used to how things work. I realised from reading items in this forum that I had been given some bad advice about my towcar which is an Avensis. I did not feel comfortable towing on my first trip knowing I was close to 100% of what I could tow hence another reason for not taking the awning.

I have purchased a Freelander. What a brill vehicle. I booked another week at Goosewood north of York and planned to erect the awning. I got all the instructions on how to erect it. I colour coded all the poles and where they fitted onto the main frame. When I got to site, I laid the frame onto the floor, threaded the awning into the channel on the caravan and then lifted the frame. Whilst my wife held the frame, I fittd the roof poles. When this was complete, I fitted the doors / windows and then pegged it down. The site at Goosewood is grass but I find the screw pegs from Towsure brilliant. I have purchased a battery operated drill at about

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Ian

I am new to caravanning. I bought a 2 year old Bailey Pageant 3 months ago and I negotiated a full size awning. My first trip was to Beechwood Grange in York. As I live in Sheffield, the first trip was short. I did not put the awning up on this trip as I wanted to get used to how things work. I realised from reading items in this forum that I had been given some bad advice about my towcar which is an Avensis. I did not feel comfortable towing on my first trip knowing I was close to 100% of what I could tow hence another reason for not taking the awning.

I have purchased a Freelander. What a brill vehicle. I booked another week at Goosewood north of York and planned to erect the awning. I got all the instructions on how to erect it. I colour coded all the poles and where they fitted onto the main frame. When I got to site, I laid the frame onto the floor, threaded the awning into the channel on the caravan and then lifted the frame. Whilst my wife held the frame, I fittd the roof poles. When this was complete, I fitted the doors / windows and then pegged it down. The site at Goosewood is grass but I find the screw pegs from Towsure brilliant. I have purchased a battery operated drill at about

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
Ian,

Step 1. Read the instructions.

step 2. Read them again

Step 3. Read them once moore

Step 4. DO NOT try to erect the awning as soon as you get to the site, especialy if its late in the day.

step 4. Be sure you have a copiuos supply of cold beer, have one before you start

Step 5. lay out the poles as per the instructions

Step 6. lay out the awning, take out all of the panels that will unzip (if they're not already)

Step 7. lay awning "inside out" with the rail piping nearest the van

Step 8. get wife or other assistant to feed the piping into the awning rail.

step 9. fit poles & tension.

Step 10. Zip in panels & peg down awning

Step 11. Stand back in amazement of how easy it was.

Step 12. have another cold beer!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Pyramid Awning is it? Strongly advise you to get the poles out and try and work out which one is which and exactly how many you have left over before you go. You can do this without your van. Then colour code them and stick written instructions on them.

Follow previous advice about not putting up at the end of a day or after a long drive.

Follow advice re beer.

Additionally. Write down a sworn affadavit of your love for partner and have small gift ready to say sorry with. Keep number of Relate emergency helpline about your person until awning is up and final beer in hand.

enjoy

mel

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Have a practise run at home or at least away from nosey caravanners!! OR when you are ready to put the awning up ask a near neighbour on the caravan site, who has an awning temselves, if they would be kind enough to help you.

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Just had a new awning ourselves and will probably be putting up for the first time in France.

We brought the awning home - lay it out on the ground sheet on the back garden - took all removable windows out and re-folded.

Took poles out and looked at instructions just to get the basic idea of the main frame and what poles go where (first time without steel poles).

We are going down the Loire so if it is warm we will probably wait until the end of the 2nd day when it goes a bit cooler before putting up. - Just at beer time!

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi Ian

just to reiterate some of the advice , check you have all the bits , and that there's nothing broken or ripped or missing.

Deffinately get steel pegs the plastic ones are useless.

Read your instructions through a couple of times and work it through in your mind how to put it up. And if you're not sure ask the questions either here , your supplier or the maker.

I'm in a difficult possition that I have to put up a full sized awning on my own (often in windy conditions) as my wife cant help. Its hard work but not that difficult.

Personally I layout the poles first roughly where they need to be. I then thread the main awaning (minus the panels) into the awning chanel and loosly peg out the two outer corners (so the awaning doesn't fly off!!.

I then start to erect the frame , middle first and work out to one side etc etc.

Takes me about 1 1/2hrs to fully get it put up and pegged out

Dont worry , take your time , dont be scared to keep referring back to the instructions.

Final piece of advice make sure you've got a cold beer (or 2) waiting for when you've finished so you can enjoy the fruits of your labour!

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Just like to add that I also follow the same method as Roger P. Definitely worthwhile pegging out a couple of corners just in case there is a sudden breeze. I have an Isabella with the fibreglass poles and it really is straightforward. I know from prior experience that steel pole with the fiddly "buttons" to adjust the length are a nightmare!

For our first attempt, we went to a CL site. No one there when we arrived but four more 'vans by the time we started!

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ian

Erecting the awning is the biggest test of one's marriage. Go with all the advice given, particularly George B's reply.

There will be a lot of bad language and tempers will flare, other people will stare (oh a rhyme), but stick with it. In my experience, the instructions mean NOWT.

Good luck, once the awning is up, it'll be great but erecting it is a total nightmare, we're away this week and even the thought of an erection (of the awning type) it is sending a shiver down my spine.

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with all that has gone before - but would add one more comment.

Check you are happy with the mallet! I use a sturdy (and heavy) wooden mallet, which drives in a peg quickly and safely. I have tried the rubber type and consider them inadequate and potentially dangerous for all but very small pegs in very soft ground.

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
If you are knocking in rock pegs to a hard standing, you will need a heavy lump hammer - a mallet just won't do it.

If you are able to erect the awning at home, you should do so - preferably more than once so that you can work out a sequence of what goes where and who does what at each stage.

Mark the poles (we use strips of coloured insulating tape), draw your own diagram and mark the pole colours on it, and write a detailed record of the exact steps to take for each of you.

Put the diagram and instructions in a clear plastic cover, and store it where it will be readily to hand when you arrive.

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

George B's advice is sound. However I would insert the following advice.

8a)Go to the centre and get underneath the awning.

8b)Lift the awning up and insert the centre pole onto the van,pull out and and insert into the awning.Get someone to hold up.

8c)Insert the centre upright pole.Adjust to a reasonable height.

8d)Working your way either right or left insert the front pole, firstly into the centre pole,then move to the appropriate corner.Keep holding up the front pole.You can leave the safely,it will stay up by itself.

8e)Insert the side roof rail onto the van and then into the awning.

8f)Insert corner upright and adjust to a reasonable height.That half will stay in position.

8g)Now go back to the centre and work from the centre into the other corner in the same sequence.

8h)The awning is now basically up.It is just a matter of adjustment.

In time this will take about 15 mins.The adjusting and pegging takes longer.Wind permitting.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Oldfogey, a lump hammer is absolutely NOT necessary to knock in rock pegs. I have been using the same mallet for 20 years. It is only now looking a bit second-hand but I think it has life left in it yet.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
I am not saying a claw hammer or a lump hammer WON'T knock in rockpegs, rather I am saying that the much larger surface area of the mallet makes it easier in my opinion.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Awnings can be a pain but we have two Labradors and need to erect an awning to ensure they stay inside. It also gives us a place to store their food, beds etc. I don't like tying them up outside unless unavoidable. And being inquisitive dogs, I can't take shortcuts so I have to peg the awning down inside and out otherwise they would go off on an adventure to see what food they could find! Labs are hoovers of all things edible, and even of some that are not!

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi Ian

What a great thread! The comments that have been left here are SO right!

I would at least make sure that you know which pole goes where AND how it is secured against the caravan. Once you've done it, the next time is a breeze.

Heed the advice about taking your time - and the cold beer. My 'first time' was a disaster. Arrive on site, having not put the awning up, give it the male 'Ok - we're here, it's getting late, but I can put this awning up tonight - how difficult can it be? It's only a bloomin' tent!' (having towed for four hours - first time too!). BIG mistake.

Advice re- small gift/marriage guidance/temper tantrums is spot on the money.

One tip I would give you is make sure the awning is LEVEL - once you've put it through the awning rail, make sure that it sits evenly either side of the van. If it doesn't, you'll have a big gap one side where the improbable, but definitely possible Force 10 gale will seek its way in and rattle your inexperienced pitch to its core. Then you'll spend the rest of your holiday wondering if your awning will still be there when you get back from the beach.

I'd also go for the rock pegs - and the lump hammer. You've covered all your bases then.

A pair of knee pads saves your patellas when pitching on hard standing.

AND get yourself one of those long-handled-peg-puller-outers. Saves your knees when you're taking it down.

Good luck - let us know how you get on!

Mac

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
Great thread and great advice. What we did to save embarassment was to speak to our kid's head teacher and got permission to practice on the school field first. It's a piece of cake !!!

I use a claw hammer for steel pegs (good for removal as well) and plenty of cold beer too!! ( Red wine is a reasonable alternative)

Enjoy !!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts