How do we get a number plate for the van if the car is brand ...

Jul 4, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

New car March 1st - no registration document therefore no car accessories shop will do a number plate for us to put on the van. The van has the old car reg on it obviously, how can we be legal??

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
You do not actually need to have a registration document to get plates.

What you DO need is to provide documentary proof that you are entitled to have the number plates made.

Sadly may places, including some Halfords, do not understand this and insist on a VRD.

When I bought my current van I did not have a VRD as the car was new so I took the sales receipt for it showing details of me, the dealer and the car.

I also suggested to the caravan dealer that he might like to ring the car dealership who would confirm ownership.

Photocopies were made and the new number plates duly made and affixed to the caravan.

Steve

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
much easier to do as the others and myself do and just get the car dealer to make you one, they will do it free of charge and after all you dont need it untill you get your new car anyway so no bother.

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
If you are really stuck then just remove the rear plate from the car and temporarily stick it the van with velcro.

Just remember to attach back to the car when solo.

Jan 23, 2007
Visit site
If all else fails get a number plate supplier to sell you separately a self adhesive blank yellow number plate together with the required numbers and letters.You stick these on yourself but it works although technically illegal.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi all

I just use a stick on type but put it on the car under the normal plate, because I tow 3 different trailers, I just remove from the car and use it on which ever trailer I am towing then put it back on the car when finished.

btw it is not illegal to use stick on plates PROVIDING the spacings and size of the digits are the same as a standard plate and I have never had a problem with mr plod.

besides if car owners can seemingly get away with illegal no plate spacings I can not see any one bothering with a trailer,

colin

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
You can buy a number plate from here without any documentation

]http://www.no1showplates.co.uk/index.php
http://www.no1showplates.co.uk/index.php[/quote
Please note the disclaimer on that website. The plates are not road-legal!!

Disclaimer

Any plates ordered through our website are sold as show plates and are for off road use only. If you chose to buy a plate that resembles a legal plate and subsequently use this on your vehicle we can accept no responsibility for this in any way or form. The term legal on the website describes the item, it does not mean the plates will be legal if that item is used, For example Legal Standard Font is the font used on legal plates.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts