How do you pack yours?

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
So, which member of your party packs the van before hitting the road and how much can you squeeze into your van (whilst respecting its legal weight limits, of course!)? Read Martin Roberts' take on this – just click here.

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I usually pack ours as OH would just put it anywhere.
I agree with Martin, when we empty our tardis when it goes in for warranty/service it fills one end of the kitchen.

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
As all the weight is over two wheels, normally pack with heavier items over axle or close by. Lighter stuff goes in lockers provided, clothes to rear and food plus cooking utensils to the front more, near to centre kitchen. Other essentials like gas cyls and associated hook up stuff fit in front locker over A frame.
And work as a dual team. I do as told.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
With only two of us in the caravan and masses of storage we have more problem stopping things moving about than getting it all in. We do tends to travel light except for my wife's wardrobe so remembering where things are is more of a problem than getting it all in.

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I pack the van, as I was shown by my caravanning parents. OH is only allowed to put in the bikes IF we take them. Microwave and spare fridge go on floor over and behind axle, clothes in wardrobe as that is also over the axle. Food in main fridge and 2 cupboards in front of the axle. Light weight table and chairs down the front, bedding on rear bunks, water barrel in loo, wastemaster down the front, bikes in the middle. Awning in the car. That just about sums it up.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
crazyguider said:
I pack the van, as I was shown by my caravanning parents. OH is only allowed to put in the bikes IF we take them. Microwave and spare fridge go on floor over and behind axle, clothes in wardrobe as that is also over the axle. Food in main fridge and 2 cupboards in front of the axle. Light weight table and chairs down the front, bedding on rear bunks, water barrel in loo, wastemaster down the front, bikes in the middle. Awning in the car. That just about sums it up.

Have you ever weighed your van with everything listed above in it and compared it to the MTPLM?

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
We try to put as little as possible in the van, Water carrier and waste in the shower, steps and wheel clamp on floor, milk and perishable food in fridge. bedding under beds and clothes in wardrobe, Only crockery in top cupboards,, travel with others empty, all other food carried in cool box in car boot, along with the awning and poles, levelling rams and EHU lead. If we take anything extra that will also go into the car, I try to keep the van as light as possible.
I do all the loading, SWMBO just buys the gateau B)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Awning, poles spare table and awning groundsheet go in car boot.
Everything else in the caravan. I'm ashamed to say the collective heaviest items are the tins of food. Beer is in the car.
Four 2 litre bottles of coke. Have you weighed them?
Then there are the six chairs,cardiac. omg.Time for a weigh in I think.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We tend to check the area we're visiting beforhand on the internet to find restaurants, supermarkets etc so we don't take much in the way of food or drink which we buy after we've arrived. Our caravan has lots of storage space but I tend to load most things into the back of the car (it's a lwb 4x4) because having fitted a solar panelt to the caravan roof there isn't a lot of spare payload.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
How do we pack ours ? The way my lovely wife tells me to , saves on arguments !! :p Usually food and drink enough for 1st night then buy rest when there , awning and poles and table in van and water and waste bits to , chairs clothes loose bits in the car .

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
crazyguider said:

Spare Fridge --- Or a cool box? If fridge, lot of weight to carry just to keep beer cool.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
..........my older caravan only has a MTPLM of 1150kgs but a large payload of 215kgs due to the fact that a lot of today's standard equipment such as microwaves, TVs water based central heating etc simply isn't fitted.
I do have most of today's mod cons ........... but I have the option of whether to load them or not.
For instance if I am going on a rally without EHU then a lot of mains electrical equipment gets left at home.
In my mind I don't load my caravan.............. it gets configured as to how it is to be used.
The ruling criteria for me is to keep it simple and save weight so I have the last word in what gets loaded in the caravan.
Having said that my tow car has a large load area and payload.

My wife will tell you I have even removed the curtains.......since we have blinds they have no function! :eek:hmy: :blink:

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
My wife will tell you I have even removed the curtains.......since we have blinds they have no function! :eek:hmy: :blink:

My wife will tell you that she needs the curtains to pull across the windows during storage to stop the insides fading and to rest the blinds to relieve their tension.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
....the blinds in my caravan are 20 years old and their tension is as good as it always was :)
....and my caravan does not spend so much time in storage as yours does ;)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
Gafferbill said:
....and my caravan does not spend so much time in storage as yours does ;)

Ouch ! :(

The blinds thing is a joke!
If you are going into storage for a while just release the blind tension completely. When you go away retension. It doesn't take long :)

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Our blinds are always down, the dammed things nearly take your fingers off when they break free from your clasp ... must be the heavy duty springs that could be fitted :dry:

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Gafferbill, I removed all curtains except those in the bunk area as they attract moisture and with blinds, who needs them? They just make it look cluttered.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
crazyguider said:
Gafferbill, I removed all curtains except those in the bunk area as they attract moisture and with blinds, who needs them? They just make it look cluttered.

......yes and my curtains were pink :sick:

crazyguider said:
Fridge is a small cube/table top fridge, not full size, and even I can carry it!

Snap!...........I also have a 240 volt table top :) ...... not a fridge but a freezer but then you have more mouths to feed.
There is only the two of us so a freezer is more useful.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts