How do you put your foot down?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thats 800 KG for the short ones and 1250 for long /large ones. As you say, thats a load that maybe the floor cannot take, you have to remember that alko chassies are not only used for caravan, but trailers of other sorts.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
It is interesting to know that ALKO state the steadys are rated from 800 kg load to 1250 kgs static load capacity.

The only comfort I can read into that, is I could easily overload and wreck the van, but sell on its steadies unabused. The steadies have to have other attributes other than static load carrying, torsional stiffness as an example.

Just like my van has a 150 kg "S" rated hitch, but it only has a chassis that accepts up to 100 kg nose weight.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I usually use a spirit level on the worktop nearest the cooker, I find if I take the reading there it seems to read ok for sink, the shower and the basin, I tend to make the reading slightly in favour of the shower etc running away completely, it’s a pain the **** If they don’t fully run away, I also have found that the small clear plastic levels that have the width and length level give a reading that is so much off level you might just as well guess at it, if you’ve one of those type next time it reads level check it with a different spirit level, something that’s about a foot long I’ve found is accurate enough.

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
And while you are having to level the van you might have to get it up on a ramp so the Alko wheel lock receptacle is aligned exactly to take the lock. Easy if side to side is level .... but virtually impossible if you have to run one wheel up inclined chocks. The art of compromise.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
And while you are having to level the van you might have to get it up on a ramp so the Alko wheel lock receptacle is aligned exactly to take the lock. Easy if side to side is level .... but virtually impossible if you have to run one wheel up inclined chocks. The art of compromise.

The technique, for SA vans, is not to use ramps or any incline, but a set of three decking planks to stack one on the other as needed, but end up with a level surface able to accommodate enough lengthwise wheel positioning.
Place these along side the tyre, placed where judged the wheel will end up in a viable place for the Al-Ko.
Motor forward enough to be able to slide the stack into the wheel's track, then motor back onto the stack. Place spirit level up the van's vertical side directly in front of you knelt by the wheel for checking the receiver's alignment.
My planks have 45 deg chamfered ends.
All comes pretty straight forward, no need to unlock the door and chase that "level" bit inside.
If I would need more than three planks, then the awning will not fit, the step present too much danger and for us it not be a viable pitch.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Edited: Base lengths of 32",27" & 20" All a good bit longer than needed, but cut from a what appears was a standard 2 metre board. The varying lengths affords a modest climb for the mover if all three are needed, though that is rare as I dislike such pitches.

Might be wise to shorten them all by 6" to save bulk in boot.

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
basically it is down to feeling when the leg is down as the resistance increases. If you wind further then you start raising the caravan and that is too far. Shake the caravan handles to see if it is steady.
I do have a drill for the job, but the principal is the same.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Edited: Base lengths of 32",27" & 20" All a good bit longer than needed, but cut from a what appears was a standard 2 metre board. The varying lengths affords a modest climb for the mover if all three are needed, though that is rare as I dislike such pitches.

Might be wise to shorten them all by 6" to save bulk in boot.
Know what you mean about the mover, Ive had to use a piece of board in front of the ramp to just give the lift to clear the mover.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I always reverse my van up the ramp, therefore avoiding the ramp hitting the motor mover. And when on site put a wheel clamp on the right hand wheel if the alko doesn't match up.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I think the general rule of thumb is that if it feels right, your floor doesnt creak, and all the doors shut properly, it probably is right.

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts