How fast??

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It always amuses me that people who complain of being overtaken by others breaking the speed limit, accuse these drivers of towing at "at least 70 or 80mph" How do they know how fast these alleged speedsters are going? Without actually following them and measuring their speed accurately which is impossible using a car's normal speedo, how can such wild claims be made? Anyone who sits behind a big heavy can only be doing their restricted 56mph max, although their speedo may suggest 60mph+ If anyone responds, please please keep off the dreaded and incredibly boring subject of cars with more than 2 driven wheels!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
All drivers SHOULD be capable of estimating a speed differential to the nearest 10 mph. It's impossible for untrained estimators to get any more accurate than that but if you can't estimate to 10 mph,you shouldn't be driving.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mike you are technically correct in what you say, and try to tell traffic policeman when you are stopped.

its time I think that everyone read a up to date highway code and started to put its requirements into practice. Deaths and carnage would reduce overnight, the police could be deployed in other areas, and the insurance premiums for all of us would reduce.

However in todays society everything has to be done in a flash, and it is only when people feel their mortality that they tend to slow down and say whats another few minutes on my journey for that is all it is a few minutes saved by speeding. IMHO and hope everyone slows down as SPEED DOES KILL

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
"the police could be deployed in other areas"

Doubtful, they know an easy touch when they see one. A points system is apparently being introduced that will show the police performance. Different crimes will attract differing amounts of points.

quote from 'uklawyers legal newswires':

"If the Police were perfect and every rapist each year was arrested at the rate of 1,000 per month only one thousand officers would be able to claim 10 points towards their monthly target. (In fact the number of rapists arrested is low - in 2001 about 25% of rape allegations lead to a prosecution and out of over 9,000 rapes reported only 572 resulted in a successful conviction.) The other 129,000 or so police officers will be desperate to make two arrests of 5 point offences to reach the same score or 5 arrests of 2 point offences. Or they can claim a detection of any offence to gain 10 points.

The inevitable result will not be that more rapists will be

arrested but that more minor offences will be detected, sought

out, grabbed at by every police officer in the land."

So every motorist will be fair game, even for a blown tail-light. Weight checks on trailers and caravans will increase in the hope of catching the unwary and cyclists will no doubt have their tyres checked in dawn raids.

Yes this will probably upset people and is probably horrendously OT but it does follow on from Shiraz' comments as quoted.

And before you ask the question: No I do not much like most of the police, especially around here with their bullying tactics, except for Traffic Div' who do all the hard work and put up with some horrific scenes with a pragmatism that is legendary.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mike you are technically correct in what you say, and try to tell traffic policeman when you are stopped.

its time I think that everyone read a up to date highway code and started to put its requirements into practice. Deaths and carnage would reduce overnight, the police could be deployed in other areas, and the insurance premiums for all of us would reduce.

However in todays society everything has to be done in a flash, and it is only when people feel their mortality that they tend to slow down and say whats another few minutes on my journey for that is all it is a few minutes saved by speeding. IMHO and hope everyone slows down as SPEED DOES KILL
just a thought speed can allso save life.

a car traveling at 30mph on a straight road when a pedestrian suddenly walks out in to it's path, one dead pedestrian.

same situation but car traveling at 50mph would be past point where pedestrian steped off.. reslut one live person!!!!

Jm

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
All drivers SHOULD be capable of estimating a speed differential to the nearest 10 mph. It's impossible for untrained estimators to get any more accurate than that but if you can't estimate to 10 mph,you shouldn't be driving.
I agree with RogerL If you cant estimate speed to the nearest 10mph you should not be driving on our roads

Nov 16, 2005
Visit site
just a thought speed can allso save life.

a car traveling at 30mph on a straight road when a pedestrian suddenly walks out in to it's path, one dead pedestrian.

same situation but car traveling at 50mph would be past point where pedestrian steped off.. reslut one live person!!!!

Jm
LOL! Your not related to me are you?

Nov 16, 2005
Visit site
I agree with RogerL If you cant estimate speed to the nearest 10mph you should not be driving on our roads
What a load of old tripe. The human mind and eye working together does not equal a speed detection system. Are you saying that you can tell the difference between a car overtaking you at 110mph and 120mph? Thought not.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
At last Mike you have picked up on something all HGV drivers have always known. HGV trucks must have there tachographs calibrated every two years, Speed limiters on new vehicles are set to 85kph (53mph) And tacho's are liable to be inspected by any Police officer. So apart from some foreign, Irish, and some illegal operators, you can be sure that on the flat following a large HGV you WILL be doing 53-55 mph. Downhill a fully loaded 44 tonner will exceed this speed, due to its own weight producing momentum. Try sticking behind an unloaded HGV ( you can usually tell its unloaded by having one or more axles raised clear of the ground)the saving in fuel will amaze you, the journey will take only a few minutes more and the drive less stressful. Remember the speed limit for Caravans is just that "a limit" not a target.

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Mark ; you said "Try sticking behind an unloaded HGV ( you can usually tell its unloaded by having one or more axles raised clear of the ground)the saving in fuel will amaze you, the journey will take only a few minutes more and the drive less stressful. Remember the speed limit for Caravans is just that "a limit" not a target."

I agree about the limit; but tell me more about the fuel saving when sticking behind an unloaded HGV; are you saying that I should drive in his slip stream??! If so, that's a bit close isn't it ?!

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I honestly cannot see a problem with a car and caravan being in the same stream of traffic as HGV's

I recently stopped at a Truckstop for a delicious all day breakfast and got talking to a table of truck drivers who were amazed that a caravanner had condescended to come into the truckstop.

I asked for their views on our type of outfit being on the roads, they all shrugged their shoulders and said that we did not pose any problems to them.

I said that with the speed restrictions placed on their vehicles that this had aided vanners as a appreciable drop in turbulance was evident at the lower speed.

I also stated that travelling at 50+mph was more enjoyable as I did not have the problem of overtaking etc. and due to the HGV driver being in a higher viewing position he was in the best position for overtaking me rather me overtking him. The all said that they could'nt agree more.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
i read somewhere on here that all good drivers should be able to

tell a 10 mph difference and the likes?

what utter rubbish. so you can tell if a car is doing 110 mph

rather than 100 or 120? and if you can tell a 10 mph difference,

why not a 20 or 30 mph difference?

just with you eyes, you have no garenteed way of knowing everytime, what the difference is.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Mark ; you said "Try sticking behind an unloaded HGV ( you can usually tell its unloaded by having one or more axles raised clear of the ground)the saving in fuel will amaze you, the journey will take only a few minutes more and the drive less stressful. Remember the speed limit for Caravans is just that "a limit" not a target."

I agree about the limit; but tell me more about the fuel saving when sticking behind an unloaded HGV; are you saying that I should drive in his slip stream??! If so, that's a bit close isn't it ?!

John
I find that about two cars distance is fine although you have to experiment a bit until you feel the trucks "Suction" - why stick to unloaded trucks? I always think I'm getting a rebate on me shopping when I'm behind an Asda truck! Saved almost half a tank going down to Wales on the M4 earlier this year!

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
also the average car,say for example a vectra,will travel 34mtrs further on new tyres with 8mm of tread than on worn tyres with 2mm of tread for every mile registered.this may only be a difference of just over 2%,but your speedometer may be out by 10% to start with.your speedo may read 60 and youll only be doing 54.the car which cruises past you may also show 60 and be doing 66.by using your speedo as a guide youd accuse the other driver of doing 72.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Travelling behind a HGV at 53mph you should allow about 60 metres space, even at this distance a certain ammount of slip-streaming will provide a car/caravan a slight "tow" effect caused by the air rushing to fill the vacuum the truck is constantly making. As Shiraz said, he saw no problem with travelling in the same lane as HGV's. There high driving position enabled earlier, and less severe braking when approaching hazards.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Craig,

Just a point regarding the accuracy of car speedometers. Under current EU regulations, car speedometers should not a indicate a lower speed than the vehicle is actually travelling - even allowing for the tyre tread wear.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
hi john.i wasnt aware of this eu ruling,though i dont doubt it.i once had a volvo 760turbo which read 78 on the rolling road(which was accurate to 1-2%)when the car showed only 70.this was apparently known of the volvos at the time.and also,someone who swaps 195/50x15s for shiny new 215/40x17s may inadvertantly over gear the speedo while believing the rolling radius to be the same.although i do agree most speedos are more than a tad optimistic.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mark said:
There high driving position enabled earlier, and less severe braking when approaching hazards.

Not to mention that we are taught to anticipate the actions of other road users around us at all times, rather than what is going on just at the end of the bonnet!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Picture the scene

Low railway bridge over the road - just to the north west of Salisbury as it happens - I spot a large wagon coming towards me and flash him and come to a stop so as to allow him to centre himself under the bridge.

Suddenly! a blast of a horn and a car overtakes me complete with gestures!!! straight up to the front bumper of the wagon which by this time was half way under the bridge.

Stand Off!

The car driver (and sorry ladies but in this case it was a lady!) held out her hands as tho' to say "Well - move!!"

But the wagon just kept creeping forwards.

Result - an absolutely furious car driver slams into reverse and tucks herself in to the kerb in front of me.

Being a gent I reverse a bit to give more room.

The truck driver is laughing like a drain and so am I.

No disrespect to lady drivers - just a comment on the benefits of reading the road

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Picture the scene

Low railway bridge over the road - just to the north west of Salisbury as it happens - I spot a large wagon coming towards me and flash him and come to a stop so as to allow him to centre himself under the bridge.

Suddenly! a blast of a horn and a car overtakes me complete with gestures!!! straight up to the front bumper of the wagon which by this time was half way under the bridge.

Stand Off!

The car driver (and sorry ladies but in this case it was a lady!) held out her hands as tho' to say "Well - move!!"

But the wagon just kept creeping forwards.

Result - an absolutely furious car driver slams into reverse and tucks herself in to the kerb in front of me.

Being a gent I reverse a bit to give more room.

The truck driver is laughing like a drain and so am I.

No disrespect to lady drivers - just a comment on the benefits of reading the road
Clive - the scenario you describe is just typical of some of todays drivers.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is as Clive has stated there are some excellent drivers on the road, both male and female. There ar also some terrable drivers out there, again both male and female. It appears that there are very few average drivers. We all however like to think we fall into the catergory of being an excellent driver and we are always right. There are very few of us who can honestly say we have never made a mistake when driving and that we always adhere to the law and the Highway Code. I for one cannot admit to being faultless as I have had a few endorsments in my driving history, thankfully so far no points.

G

I agree with the comments regarding good and bad drivers. There does seem to be an increased lack of understanding of the Highway Code these days, obviously, you pass the test and then forget all about it. Looking ahead and planning your next move is a no, no it seems. The other main problem is that cars today are so much faster both in speed and acceleration. An average saloon today has figures that would equate to a highly expensive sports car in the 60's, but can the drivers really handle them any better I ask? i would never advocate driving at 30 mph on a motorway but caution can usually save lives.

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
I find that about two cars distance is fine although you have to experiment a bit until you feel the trucks "Suction" - why stick to unloaded trucks? I always think I'm getting a rebate on me shopping when I'm behind an Asda truck! Saved almost half a tank going down to Wales on the M4 earlier this year!
David, I drive an HGV every day of the week and I've got news for you.......

Travelling at 56mph and empty I'm going to stop a damned sight faster than you with your van and family on board. You may well save some fuel but is it really worth having your front end (and probably most of yoursElves) embedded in my rear end??

Won't bother me as I'll hardly feel it but I would appreciate your thinking about others even if you don't care about yourself as it would be me and numerous others who would have to witness and clear-up the carnage that your actions could cause.

in other words......

BACK OFF !!!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts