How hard do you pull the handbrake on.

May 20, 2022
Visit site
We had our first trip with our new caravan last week. It was our first ever caravan trip. My wife and I had both been on club towing courses where it was emphasised to give the handbrake an extra ”tug” to make sure it is on properly.
which we have been doing.
However when we went to leave site the mover wouldn’t move the van forward , only reverse. And when the car was hitched up it was exactly the same. Hard to move and one wheel locked up.
when the technician from the dealer came out he found that a nut on the rod from the handbrake lever to the brakes/ATC had fouled in a tube in the chassis rail and had locked the handbrake on. The nut had ended up in front of the chassis rail and when the handbrake was released, the rod dropped slightly and the nut snagged.
he said it was caused by pulling the handbrake on too far. And the extra tug isn’t needed on modern vans. Just press the button, start the lever coming up and let it find its own level.
Has anyone else come across this? Handbrake certainly seems well on if that is all you do. It certainly seemed to be news to all the experienced caravaners around us who had tried to help us.
Caravan is a Bailey Phoenix 640+

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To be honest it seems to me a questionable explanation on the part of the technician, The components of the braking system should be able to withstand the maximum effort a human can apply without bending or catching on anything.

Either something is bent or worn.

I suggest you get the brake system fully serviced by a reputable service agent.

Reactions: RogerL
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Many years ago caravans had ratchet handbrakes. But modern vans have assisted levers. If it is adjusted correctly, it is either on or off. So, imo, the towing course was quite wrong. Also, the mechanism should not be able to foul in any circomstances.

On vans I have had, the handbrake has been quite powerful. When pushing the van, if it is applied, it stops instantly. Years ago I had a van being winched of the back of a lorry, so fairly steep. The winch broke and the driver reacted quickly and applied the hanbrake. The van just stopped. (A shame really, I would have been happier if that van went off the side and was written off).

I agree, it needs checking out.

I use the handbrake only when necessary. ie, on a slopping site. In storage it remains off. No point in leaving a long term strain on parts.

John

Last edited:
May 20, 2022
Visit site
To be honest it seems to me a questionable explanation on the part of the technician, The components of the braking system should be able to withstand the maximum effort a human can apply without bending or catching on anything.

Either something is bent or worn.

I suggest you get the brake system fully serviced by a reputable service agent.
When we got home there was no sign of undue warmth on either brake, so no sign if brakes binding etc. This was a technician from a highly regard, reputable dealer/service centre. So no real reason to doubt what he said.

May 20, 2022
Visit site
Many years ago caravans had ratchet handbrakes. But modern vans have assisted levers. If it is adjusted correctly, it is either on or off. So, imo, the towing course was quite wrong. Also, the mechanism should not be able to foul in any circomstances.

On vans I have had, the handbrake has been quite powerful. When pushing the van, if it is applied, it stops instantly. Years ago I had a van being winched of the back of a lorry, so fairly steep. The winch broke and the driver reacted quickly and applied the hanbrake. The van just stopped. (A shame really, I would have been happier if that van went off the side and was written off).

I use the handbrake only when necessary. ie, on a slopping site. In storage it remains off. No point in leaving a long term strain on parts.

John
Good to have confirmation that the technician was right about the assisted levers. I have been underneath, with mover engaged and stays down, while my wife operated the handbrake in the approved manner. No sign of anything fouling etc. our manual application of the lever had certainly had it ending up much higher than it does treating it as an assisted lever. So could well see things moving more than designed.
No sign of brakes getting warm while towing so not bind8ng

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When we got home there was no sign of undue warmth on either brake, so no sign if brakes binding etc. This was a technician from a highly regard, reputable dealer/service centre. So no real reason to doubt what he said.
I'm sorry but there is no way a braking system should cause a brake to hold on when the linkages are relaxed, especially a nut fouling a chassis member. That either very poor design, installation or some other factor such as wear or damage to allow that nut to engage with the chassis in the manner described.

There is the possibility the brakes had seized whilst standing and that allowed the linkages to become more relaxed than usual, and the actions of trying to move the caravan eventually released the mechanism.

Either way it suggests the braking systems could do with a full service to prevent it from happening again.

Reactions: Dustydog
May 11, 2021
Visit site
My observation is that the handbrake is of an over-centred design - once you move the lever past a certain point it will then pull itself on - this is how the breakaway cable works, by giving the lever a tug and the lever then setting itself to the 'on' position.

I used to give it a hefty pull but after seeing my mobile service guy simply knock the lever over and let it set itself I have not done that.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
So did you reverse into your pitch and then apply the handbrake extra hard? The reversing mechanism is supposed to stop the brakes coming on. Rule of thumb. Move forward a few feet to disengage the reversing mechanism otherwise the handbrake won’t hold. However it is clear there is something wrong. Follow the Prof’s advice and get the brake system thoroughly checked

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our handbrake does not have a button and whether the wife or myself we simply pull it up as per normal with no extra tug. Never had an issue releasing it. When last was the caravan serviced?

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
I mentioned in a earlier post about our caravan brake shoes were complete worn out when it went for service . just going through from moving from our front lawn to the drive where I put the brake on before hooking up. and then the journey to the service dept. So as previous service never mentioned about brake shoe wear could it have been like turnbacktime?

Mar 4, 2019
Visit site

John
Another reason to leave it off is the risk of it sticking on in storage over winter, aggravated by cold. Some will say it shouldn’t happen but it does even on a new van sub zero. temperature.

Reactions: Jcloughie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts