How late is acceptable to arrive

Jul 4, 2005
Visit site
I will be catching the Plymouth to Roscoff ferry arriving at approx 7.30pm I would like to get at least an hours plus driving in on our route to the French Alpes after leaving the ferry.

I would like to find a site very close to the Morlaix / Rennes road.....I think I have found a small Municipal in Chatelauren (although they have not replied to any emails / booking enquiries) but is 9.30 - 10.00pm too late to arrive for an overnight stop. I would like to be on the road again by 5am at the latest the next morning.

I dont want to stop over in a lay-by / Aire for all the obvious security reasons.....I did this last year and although I had no problems I was so worried I got about 1/ 1/2 hours sleep!

Lots of people sleep at the ferry port, but I have a long drive the next day so would like to get as far on as possible.

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi

this may be a bit late for the French, we find if your not on site for 8pm they usually have shut up and gone, not a problem if the warden lives on site , but not many do.

Dont forget the hour difference too

I also have problems getting a reply about bookings and find that if I write enclosing a 10e note, with a self addressed envelope and send this as "signed for on delivery" I have always had a reply, its a faff I know but does give peace of mind at the start of the hols.

Regards

madeleine

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you want to arrive and leave at those times you really need to find a site with an overnight pitching area. However quiet you try to be you will inevitably disturb people if you are pitched in the main site and try to leave at 0500. Even soft voices carry when it's really quiet, and you need to think about the noise of opening and closing doors, winding up legs, starting the engine etc. And arriving at 2200 as many people are settling down for the night wouldn't be too popular either.

Jul 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mike,

Totally agree with what your saying. There wont be any voices as I will be alone (the wife and kids are flying down to Geneva and I'll meet them there.)

I wont be putting down any corner steadies, I dont really want to unhitch if possible.......just somewhere to park and catch a few hours 'safe' shut eye. I agree an overnight pitch would be perfect but ive never come across one that you can just pull up in and move on again early next morning.

I am thinking maybe of justing finding a quiet village square car park, thinking that will be safer than the Aires that seem to attract all the late night weirdos!

May 10, 2007
Visit site
Since I was a student and biked it to see my parents in Germany sleeping rough on the French service areas I've never come across any "weirdo's".

We've caught many an hours sleep with the caravan and boat and glider trailers on French service areas. I admit that we always stop on the 24/7 fuel service areas where there are parking areas for caravans and campers, "safety in mumbers".

My brother works in Brussels and the've taken their motor home all over Europe for many years stopping at Aires and Service areas and have never come across "weirdo's" either.

If you are really concerned why not sleep at the ferry port when you arrive and leave earlier in the morning as I doubt you will get on to a camp site that late or be able to exit at 5am. You could then stop in daylight and feel happier if you need more sleep.

James

Jul 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi James,

I think that is what I will do. By staying at the ferry port I can get to sleep earlier and and set off at 4am without the need for steadies and unhitching etc.

.........but then I get the same dilemma in the evening after a whole days driving. I wont reach the Alpes in 1 day so I am aiming to stop around Macon in Burgundy......but theres no ferry port!!

Life is one big adventure!!!

May 10, 2007
Visit site
You should be able to make a campsite in good time the next day so then you would not have a problem.

A lot of sites do not open barriers between 9pm and 7am or so for caravan entrance or exit.

If you've been driving alone, that may not be a bad thing.

If driving alone consider borrowing a Satnav if you are not already a user, they are a great aid combined with a good route map.

James

TRENDING THREADS