How long in time or distance is your tow per day?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We’ve done some weird tows the last four weeks . More later . Just wondered what restrictions or targets others set 😉

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
Often do 250 miles or 6 hours in a day, usually with a quick pit stop halfway.
Rarely do less than 2hrs in a stint.
That is motorway milage.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Usually we tow about 300miles for a main holiday in one stint,although we did tow diagonal across France at about 500 miles in a day, that was a needs must and won’t be repeated as it was a stretch. Most tows are about the 100mile mark for weekend or Easter breaks.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Used to do 400 miles a day in France, but nearer 300 miles per day in Britain. I had a DVT coming back from Scotland in 2017 so now even not towing any longer I make sure I stop for a 10 minute leg stretch at least every 2 hours. Almost long enough to charge a decent EV. So although I’m on anti coagulants for life I don’t want to push my luck and risk another DVT, as amongst other things it wacks up overseas travel insurance, or could kill me. ☹️

PS quoting motorway or autoroute distances.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Nothing written in Clay, I always estimate on 50 mph with another 30 minutes. it all depends on the roads, I am quite happy to do a 6 hour tow including in that a 30 minute break, for fuel and a pee. But, if it is a twisty or rising and climbing tow, that drains you mentally. So 4 hours.
In the UK with no time or ferry time restraints, just go with the flow.

Reactions: otherclive
Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
Over the recent years I've had several breaks on the M6/M5 stopped at the multitude of road works.Idly passing my enforced delays trying to spot the elusive brightly coloured, helmeted road crew workers

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Back in the early 60s my old dad drove to St Ives Cornwall from Wimbledon in one go. We left at 3.00 am , mum armed with a staples AA leaflet style route planner. No M4 or M5, At 1.00 pm we arrived . Nine hours! And Dad was not a good driver.

I asked the question out of curiosity and how ageing is affecting us.

For years we have done the long 6;hour hauls. On a motorway that is clear , no conjestion or slow downs , set the CC to 58 -60 and cruise. No stress, stay alert, plenty of water and some home made rolls.
The last two days we towed from Gairlock to near Cirencester with an overnighter Hoddom castle Lockerbie. Two 6 hour non stops. We have good bladders and alertness.

This will be the last long non stopper. We are a bit tired now. . Ok we saved a day but I feel age is creeping up,now. Next one will be no more than 5 hours non stop.

We are also considering driving over night, eg leave home at midnight and drive into the sun.

TRENDING THREADS