How lucky can you be?

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Just returned from 12 nights in Hampshire, had a lovely time. However we got off to a stressful start. Left storage in Shropshire to have an overnight at a CL near Kineton in Warwickshire. The car is new, 1200 miles, and we are still finding out about it. We arrived and pitched OK to a nice welcome from the owner. I thought I would close the windows on the car and so jumped in and pressed ignition. A warning alarm sounded and a message came up telling me a tyre was soft. I pumped it up and a few minutes later off the alarm again. We were on a CL down a lane up a track on a farm with a post code that sat navs thought miles away. I phoned the AA and gave them directions. Within 20 mins a patrolman was on the phone trying to find us. He did within minutes and changed the wheel. Just as he was leaving and we were planning to find a tyre place the following morning a mobile fitter went passed on an adjacent track. We stopped him and on his return, an hour later he stopped. He repaired the puncture and refitted the wheel. He even mentioned it would be a few miles before the warning light went off. So we got off to a prompt start the following morning. What are the chances of a mobile fitter passing in such an isolated place? He worked overtime for us and we are very grateful. For the record the puncture was a no 8 1 inch screw, philips headed.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I had a right stink of a job to do on site with the van and the next minute a mobile fitter came on site to someone else, I asked him if he was available and he did the job, just glad that I never tried to changed the kitchen tap because he had to re-arrange all the pipe work, and I did not have any spare water pipe with me,

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
My son in law has rained on my parade! He said could the fact that the mobile tyre guy was in such an isolated spot because someone else had had a puncture? The tyre guy did say he went past to replace two run flats on a nearby BMW. Clearly someone had lost 3 screws on the access lane or track!!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Never been that lucky. We did have a spot of luck leaving Beechwood Grange one morning setting off for another site. At the exit we passed the warden who shouted we had a flat tyre on the car. We were able to stop and leave the caravan there and get a new tyre from a depot just down the road from them.
It would have been a far bigger problem if we had not been told and had driven off with the tyre flat.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
waffler said:
Just returned from 12 nights in Hampshire, had a lovely time. However we got off to a stressful start. Left storage in Shropshire to have an overnight at a CL near Kineton in Warwickshire. The car is new, 1200 miles, and we are still finding out about it. We arrived and pitched OK to a nice welcome from the owner. I thought I would close the windows on the car and so jumped in and pressed ignition. A warning alarm sounded and a message came up telling me a tyre was soft. I pumped it up and a few minutes later off the alarm again. We were on a CL down a lane up a track on a farm with a post code that sat navs thought miles away. I phoned the AA and gave them directions. Within 20 mins a patrolman was on the phone trying to find us. He did within minutes and changed the wheel. Just as he was leaving and we were planning to find a tyre place the following morning a mobile fitter went passed on an adjacent track. We stopped him and on his return, an hour later he stopped. He repaired the puncture and refitted the wheel. He even mentioned it would be a few miles before the warning light went off. So we got off to a prompt start the following morning. What are the chances of a mobile fitter passing in such an isolated place? He worked overtime for us and we are very grateful. For the record the puncture was a no 8 1 inch screw, philips headed.
Last month I'd just sited in Germany and the electric tripped out. Couldn't find the problem, so did the right thing and poured a large whisky! Talking to the man on the next pitch, he said he was a electrician and offered to look at my van when he'd got set up.
Ten minutes later he walked into my van with a meter in his hand, and the lights came on, and haven't failed since! Great trick, but he admitted that he expected something like that, as we'd come though some pretty heavy rainfall, it had got damp, then dried out, so all was well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts