How many steadies?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Evening all, this may seem like a daft question but here goes. We are lucky to be able to store our caravan at home, bottom of the drive, next to the house. We are looking to change for a newer caravan which is longer and wider, this will mean if fills the gap completely between the house wall and my neighbours fence. Additionally it will need to back up to my fence and gate behind. to enable enough space for the car to still fit on. This however will mean I can only put down the osf steady and osr with access through my gate. Now obviously nobody is going to be in the caravan to upset the balance but my concern is will it be okay with just 2 out of 4 steadies down in say bad weather, windy condition, will it strain the chassis in anyway. Any comments welcome, thanks

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
You could get three down, some one else will tell you how to get the fourth one down :)

Reverse caravan back as far as possible so you can lower both rear steadies, but before lowering the rear steadies get the van fairly level with the jockey wheel, lower rear steadies to about an inch above the ground, push van back to final position, raise jockey wheel to allow rear steadies to touch the ground the van will then be
slightly running off level to the rear, easier for water to run off roof whilst in storage. Lower front steady and then there was three ;)

After thought, can you also lower the other one to about an inch above ground and when the other three are down use a wedge to take up the slack.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Sir Gagakev.
Now I see how your skills of getting things up and down apply to caravanning!
Well done.

Up and down, do hope you are on about the steadies :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you get a 'nutrunner' fitting for a cordless drill and fit the appropriate size socket you get a winder very little longer than the drill body. You can then lower the back syeadies from the side of the caravan by 'reaching round the corner'
I use tihis on sites in Spain where I have to back right upto, virtually touching, the dividing hedge in order to get the drawbar within the pitch limits.
The nut runners are sold as a set of 3 from Screwfix etc, they are hex one end and sqare the other in sizes 1/4. 3/8. And 1/2 and only a few ££

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
MeonIan said:
Evening all, this may seem like a daft question but here goes. We are lucky to be able to store our caravan at home, bottom of the drive, next to the house. We are looking to change for a newer caravan which is longer and wider, this will mean if fills the gap completely between the house wall and my neighbours fence. Additionally it will need to back up to my fence and gate behind. to enable enough space for the car to still fit on. This however will mean I can only put down the osf steady and osr with access through my gate. Now obviously nobody is going to be in the caravan to upset the balance but my concern is will it be okay with just 2 out of 4 steadies down in say bad weather, windy condition, will it strain the chassis in anyway. Any comments welcome, thanks

Hello Ian.

I cant really see it being a problem, after all the caravan is towed behind a car and has no steadies, yet its bounced around quite a lot when going over bumps. Its likely the impact inertia of such bumps will be far more stressful than just having the twp offside steadies down.

The purpose of the steadies is to stop the caravan from rocking, bouncing or moving when people are moving inside the caravan, they don't add any significant structural strength to the caravan.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all, thanks for all your comments. Gagakev, I had thought about doing that but I usually have the van pointing slightly nose down so slightly nose up would be okay, water still running off okay. Ray, good idea but wouldn't work for me as the van will fit between house wall on o/s and neighbours fence on n/s so couldn't get down the side of the van. Prof J, thanks my thoughts were it would be okay too, like you said they are more for stability when people are inside but I think I will follow Gagakev's advice and get both rears down and one front.
Have a good week all.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
http://100.al-ko.com/uk_vt/products/caravan-accessories-1/corner-steadies-accessories/comfort-kit.html

Anyone tried one of the above?

No, but did see a van once with normal white waste pipe (lot cheaper) fitted.
Same principle but agree you don't get the angled winder attachment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts