how much damp is damp?

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
from the annual service carried out today comes a 'damp' report. A neat little diagram of the inside of the van showing the readings at each point. the readings range from 12 to 16%. The highest readings are in 3 places - around one of the rooflights and over the front window on the nearside. The tester advises that these readings should be rechecked in 3 months. There is also the comment that the the weather was wet(tipping down) at the time of test. T the bottom of the report there are guidance notes which explain that 0-15% - no cause for concern. !5-20% - further investigation/further checks; and so on.
Question is; is this normal? Should I be asking/informing Elddis about it? The van is one year old on 1st March.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
On a wet day in winter you expect condensation inside a van when it is not being heated, as is the case for a service. Your max reading of 16% is normal for such conditions. Don't worry too much, unless it's worse in 3 month's time.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've heard a very sorry tale recently relating to a new in May 2013 Elddis roof light leak, this requiring both 'faulty' roof lights to be replaced. Thing is it all started with a slight discolouration on the ceiling against one rooflight, and before they got round to fixing it, ended up becoming a very big mess!.

So given that, I would be asking the question of Elddis....is there a known problem I should be concerned about with the rooflights on my van?

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Didn't have the van serviced by the supplying dealer; I had a mobile approved dealer come to me. More convenient than taking van up then fetching it back. Also the dealer sold lots of vans last year at about the same time as mine(preorders) so is very busy with all the servicing that is due now plus all the Pre delivery checks for this year. Might talk to him about the damp readings tho.

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I've heard a very sorry tale recently relating to a new in May 2013 Elddis roof light leak, this requiring both 'faulty' roof lights to be replaced. Thing is it all started with a slight discolouration on the ceiling against one rooflight, and before they got round to fixing it, ended up becoming a very big mess!.

So given that, I would be asking the question of Elddis....is there a known problem I should be concerned about with the rooflights on my van?

My Elddis was new in 2014 so hopefully problem -if any- sorted before mine was built.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Your contract is with the dealer. I would let them know of the result but copy Eldiss in and say they can look at it if they wish but you propose to follow the engineers advice and have it checked again as he suggests and will let them know the result. That should cover you if they do nothing.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Raywood said:
Your contract is with the dealer. I would let them know of the result but copy Eldiss in and say they can look at it if they wish but you propose to follow the engineers advice and have it checked again as he suggests and will let them know the result. That should cover you if they do nothing.

Very wise words Ray.

Our Wyoming was serviced this week and the NSF window area recorded 70% damp.
Why? Well the window rubbers had become blocked and clogged with lichen and moss etc causing a breakdown of the rubber seal to window joint. Fortunately no long term damage . The rubbers have been cleaned and silicone sprayed so all should be well now.

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I had a Compass Rallye (Eldiss Group) 7 or 8 years ago which was serviced each December by a local mobile guy. The damp report showed a damp reading of 20% at the front nearside top locker on 2 services. When tested in the spring, the same area was down to less than 10%

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is always difficult around this time of year interpreting damp readings, the weather is not good and usually a service is carried out in the morning when the van is particularly cold.
Under ideal circumstances damp reading should be taken in an ambient temperature of 20 degrees, and the inside of the van has been acclimatised to the outside temperature.

Getting what seem high readings at t is time of year is not uncommon and as long as the reading is confined to one particular reading out of several around the area under suspicion, it is normally nothing to be overly concerned about.

Of course all damp reports depend on the skill of person doing it and the correct interpretation of results taking into account the time of day and the type of weather affecting any readings.

I have found readings of up to 20% in winter which have dropped to a regular 8% or 10% later in the year.

The only readings I would be very concerned about at this time of year are any at 30% or above.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts