How much space should we allow on driveway

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone!
We are about to build a new house :) . we will have a small right of way 5 meters wide on our property that we want to put a garage along with access for the caravan (not bought yet) to come in down the side of the garage then turn into our driveway behind the garage. As we can design the space ourselves - how big a turning space is needed to get behind the garage into our property, Hope this makes sense. We will be turning right onto a driveway behind the garage.

Thanks
MMMM

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
It will depend on the size of caravan and whether it will be single axle or a twin axle. Single axles are easier to turn and need a smaller turning circle than a twin axle.
Any idea what caravan you are looking for?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
5 metre wide access is not very wide if it includes having a garage taking up any part of it.
I would guess the average width of garage is 10ft, which leaves only about 5 feet and the narrowest caravan is 7ft 3inches approximately.

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
5 metre wide access is not very wide if it includes having a garage taking up any part of it.
I would guess the average width of garage is 10ft, which leaves only about 5 feet and the narrowest caravan is 7ft 3inches approximately.

Au contraire, Damian. My Gobur Carousel folding caravan is 6'4" wide, though a slimline version is available at 5'8". Freedom Caravans are between 6'4" and 6'8", and The Trigano Silver is 6'6". I realise these caravans are in a bit of a niche market, being either folders or pop-tops, but still worth considering if there are issues with width. I'm sure I've seen some conventional caravans at a narrow width too, I'm sure someone else will post with some more choices.

Whatever caravan you decide on, MMMM, my recommendation would be to have a motor mover attached if you have any sort of difficulty with space or access. Makes manoeuvring in limited space so much less hassle!

Good luck with both your house build and the hunt for a suitable caravan!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree, some vans, if you like them , are narrower, but even your van at 6ft 4 inches would not fit the gap left by the garage, nor would any of the others.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Why not build a full width extra high double length plus garage allowing the caravan to drive straight through and be kept under cover..?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
:blink:
WoodlandsCamper said:
Dustydog said:
Why not build a full width extra high double length plus garage allowing the caravan to drive straight through and be kept under cover..?

Because the OP said it was a right of way? :huh:

So why is he building a garage?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure the OP is correct in describing it as a right of way if it is his drive. Think it needs more clarification but whatever it looks very tight.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Tight is an understatement. By the tine he's built even the narrowest of garages he'll be lucky to get a wheel barrow through :p
Where is mmm???

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts