How old is your European Health Insuance Card?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You should check the expiry date on your card as they are only valid for 5 years. The early cards will soon be coming up for renewal.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
The older cards only lasted a couple of years! I was surprised when I looked at the date on mine, and had to renew it last year.

I commented on another forum that the replacement cards last five years, so at least we won't have to remember so often. It's easy enough to renew on line though - use this link: https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/home.do

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the reminder, Dusty. I had rather stupidly assumed that these things had an indefitie life, but your message prompted me to check, only to find that ours expired on the 1st February. I'm off to sort it now!

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Was there not some mention recently that the new driving licences also have a limited life ? { The way things are going nowadays WE too will be given use by dates ! )

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Was there not some mention recently that the new driving licences also have a limited life ? { The way things are going nowadays WE too will be given use by dates ! )
Yes, 10 years. I should have kept my old green one with its points on :-(

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
This nearly 7 year old topic is still relevant today :)

The EHIC card runs out :eek:hmy: ........ but are free and easy to renew online.
ValA's link still works.

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
A word of warning people, last year I worked in Vlissingen in Holland (we call it Flushing) and had quite a serious accident at work that required some extensive cleaning and stitching on my right hand, the top knuckle on my little finger was cut to the bone so it wasn’t just a small graze. Fortunately I did have insurance but due to me being rushed to hospital I had neither my medical insurance documents or passport with me.
The local accident and emergency (in a plce called Goes which they pronounce like a cross between a Hoose and someone clearing their throat) wouldn’t entertain my euro health card and refused to treat me until I could provide proof of how I was going to pay for the treatment. Personally I wouldn’t travel abroad without medical insurance after that incident.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
saint-spoon said:
A word of warning people, last year I worked in Vlissingen in Holland (we call it Flushing) and had quite a serious accident at work that required some extensive cleaning and stitching on my right hand, the top knuckle on my little finger was cut to the bone so it wasn’t just a small graze. Fortunately I did have insurance but due to me being rushed to hospital I had neither my medical insurance documents or passport with me.
The local accident and emergency (in a plce called Goes which they pronounce like a cross between a Hoose and someone clearing their throat) wouldn’t entertain my euro health card and refused to treat me until I could provide proof of how I was going to pay for the treatment. Personally I wouldn’t travel abroad without medical insurance after that incident.
This is a common occurrence and people should really do their homework before going abroad into the EU .the Netherlands is one of many places where you will have to pay upfront and then claim it back once home..and if you work there then you are supposed to have some sort of national [Netherlands] medical card .
which then gets around this, which i assume is what the posters meant by medical insurance documents..
another instance is i believe in Austria you can only claim back 80% of monies...

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
......get the EHIC app for your smartphone. This is a handy source of information on how to use the card in whichever country you are in at the time of need.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts