how pricing has changed

Nov 9, 2006
Visit site
hi to all of you,

i was just sitting here thinking about when my wife and young family ,and 2dogs started caravaning.Most sites charged us no more than £2.50 anite that would be a car caravan 2 adults 2children 2 dogs an awning a pup tent electric and showers .Our van at the time cost us £300 our sierra cost £1200 and road tax ,petrol an van insurance were affordable , if you found a site you liked and long stayed ,it cost you no more than 4weeks wages for the whole season say march to november the 6th how long ago was this?1988 how things have changed and not for the better in most cases .Any more thoughts on this subject ,how much did it cost you and when ?

jim

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jim

I've only been caravanning for about three years so I can't comment on the prices in years gone by.

I have noticed an increase over these past three years though. The site we normally stop at in Cornwall has even put a charge on annexes now. Dogs have gone up from 50p to

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jim,I can remember our 1500cc Ford Cortina (bench seat ,steering wheel gear change) we lived in Harlow Essex at the time and i do recall for our holidays in Scotland that we allowed

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Robert brought back some happy memories. Our first 'van was also a Sprite Alpine , 5 berth. Towed it with a 1300cc Cortina. Our first trip in 1971 was from Sutton Coldfield to a Sprite Club rally at Blackpool to see the illuminations - a great weekend and still have the small chopping board we all received as a "trophy". Our second trip was from Sutton Coldfield to Aviemore, the car was so underpowered that when we were driving over Beattock summit (A74) we had to stop until the head wind abated to give us a chance to get over the top. I can't remember any costs but thanks for reviving the memories Robert!

Nov 9, 2006
Visit site
hi robert and all those who replied,

you reminded us of our first van it was a sprite musketeer 22years old ,exchanged almost for a parakeet, but my mates misses needed the money so we paid the asking price of 50pounds for the van against my better wishes (im not putting that on the back of my cortina 2litre-e)my father -in-law and myself fitted 240v electrics the ladies did all the soft furnishings and we dragged it down to a place called Mother Iveys Bay cornwall, us 2toddlers mom and dad in law ,it was the first and the best caravaning holiday of our lives we are still friends with all those that were there during that time ,maybe its us thats changed,we will never know but those days will never come again

enjoy

jim and karen

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts