How to make the caravan bed without breaking your back?

Apr 5, 2023
Visit site
Hello all!
I’m a single mum of 3 kids and I’ve bought a caravan so we can make some much needed happy memories. I’ve overcome the fear of towing, figured out how to attach it to the car by myself (reversing back onto my driveway is still a big issue 😂😂) and have sussed out the whole setting up and packing away thing. I’ve even managed to put up a full sized awning by myself!
I just have one bone of contention, my back! I have a dodgy back anyway but making the bed from the sofa is killing me! I’m currently pulling out the slats, putting the cushions in place, fitted sheet then pillows and duvet but all of the leaning across and bending is doing my back in really badly. Am I missing any tricks? Any tips to make it easier?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
A very big welcome to the forum. Sorry, very little help from a fellow back sufferer. Perhaps train the kids to do it. 😁

John

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I have a fixed corner bed. Tucking in the bottom sheet is always a PITA. I have to sort of crawl across the mattress whilst trying to lift it at the same time. Being fat never helps with such tasks....

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Lyns welcome to the forum sorry i cannot help but i to suffer with a bad back we just did not make a beds up but use sleeping bags

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Hello all!
I’m a single mum of 3 kids and I’ve bought a caravan so we can make some much needed happy memories. I’ve overcome the fear of towing, figured out how to attach it to the car by myself (reversing back onto my driveway is still a big issue 😂😂) and have sussed out the whole setting up and packing away thing. I’ve even managed to put up a full sized awning by myself!
I just have one bone of contention, my back! I have a dodgy back anyway but making the bed from the sofa is killing me! I’m currently pulling out the slats, putting the cushions in place, fitted sheet then pillows and duvet but all of the leaning across and bending is doing my back in really badly. Am I missing any tricks? Any tips to make it easier?
We use sleeping bags - much less work than fitting sheets.

Reactions: Challenger

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Ditch the fitted sheet. As others have said use sleeping bags. However if you want something sheet like as a bottom layer get a double duvet, put a cover on it and throw that on the front double. We used the duvet under, duvet over method for a long time. Upgraded to a mattress topper but they are heavy and bulky to store.
Enjoy Caravanning and keep posting.
Mel

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We used a double mattress protector loosely spread over the made up bed then sleeping bags. The protector was because the dogs slept on the beds.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Partly because of the problems you mention we moved to a fixed bed but before that with children that was not possible. It is a bind and I would go along with the others suggesting sleeping bags. Good luck and I hope you enjoy the holidays.
A bit off subject, but you will find meetings for solo caravanners if you google this which might help if you need company and help.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
My daughter uses a sleeping bag with a built in memory foam mattress. Even though it’s only an inch thick she says it’s very comfortable

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Our caravan has a fixed bed now, but when we started out with a,2 berth we used to make the bed from the seating on pull out slats.
We became fed up with crawling on the bed trying to fit sheets, so we simply used an old duvet with a cover and mattress protector in place of a bottom sheet.
With the bed assembled I simply unrolled the duvet etc, and used another duvet on the top.
No more hassle, the bed was comfortable and warm enough and instead of washing sheets, we washed the duvet covers and mattress protector.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Similar to Parksy on this. Once the slats and cushions are in place we just unroll two Duvalay toppers, already with cover sheets fitted, then throw a duvet over the top.

Reactions: Parksy
Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
We have just a smallish 2 berth van and make the bed up no problem, we use duvets and fleecy blankets which suit perfectly (hate fixed beds waste of good space and not for us)
My son however has got a TA with a fixed island bed, he also has 3 kids, 7,5 and 3. He makes up the lounge bed and then leaves it in place for the duration of the trip, he says it just works better that way as they spend most of the time in the awning

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
We've just spent a few nights on our new Duvalay Memory Foam Sleeping Bag - 5cm x 66cm wide.
For single berths the 66cm is perfect fit, 77cm might be bit wide. Went with 5cm and not be disappointed definitely smooths out inconsistencies from all swaps when double bed is made up. While we mainly bought them for mattress, the all in one sleeping bag has been biggest benefit. These are like duvet which is attach st bottom and one side with other side be open and hanging over side of single bed. Makes it easy to get in and out plus can be pulled back if to warm. In double arrangement opening sides face each other in middle of bed. Or outwards if you don't want to cuddle.

Found summer duvet good to 15C with shorts and t-shirt after that need to add layers ie clothes, blankets or both.
Being 2 berth we roll them up and store at head of beds. Remove short backrest swab and its snug fit between wall and small front table. They come with straps to stop them unrolling.

Cleaning is easy just unzip and put through wash.

There is no denying cost or extra few kgs but worth it for good sleep and ease of setup and clear down.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We always used sleeping bags where the sides could be opened and the bags were quite wide. In our last van one of the singles beneath the bunk wasn’t particularly well padded. So we bought a Duvalay 2.5cm single topper. It may a real difference to the comfort and sometimes I was on that single, other times my wife or our granddaughter. The Duvalay topper is now surplus to requirements and along with a few other things from our caravan life should be found a new home.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
We always used sleeping bags where the sides could be opened and the bags were quite wide. In our last van one of the singles beneath the bunk wasn’t particularly well padded. So we bought a Duvalay 2.5cm single topper. It may a real difference to the comfort and sometimes I was on that single, other times my wife or our granddaughter. The Duvalay topper is now surplus to requirements and along with a few other things from our caravan life should be found a new home.
We were using sleeping bags, Duvalay's are easier to use and keep clean.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts