How to prevent tow electric cable from dragging and getting damaged,

Oct 19, 2024
Visit site
Any advice welcome to prevent cable damage.

We have looped it once and used two cable ties to loosely secure to the A frame. I have read about using looped Velcro strips. I'm surprised there isn't a better system.

Also, are there any Coachman VIP 520 owners who can explain how they make sure the jockey wheel is stowed correctly and securely before towing. On returning from our second outing, we think our jockey wheel dropped and caused the cable to drag and get damaged, blowing the car tow fuses. Lesson learned! Our SATVAV took us back via undulating, bumpy, narrow, country lanes. We knew something was wrong but we couldn't safely stop until it was too late. All fixed now. We just want to prevent this happening again.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have had the jockey wheel "unwind" before.
You need to ensure the jockey wheel arms are securely located in the slots in the bottom of the winding shaft. I have seen some folk use a bungee cord to attach to the upper winding handle then down to the electric tow cable. This stops the handle from unwinding , and dropping the wheel.
On my Coachman, I bring the cable over the A frame from the right behind the Jockey wheel post, then give it a full twist before plugging in .
This keeps it well off the ground but enough cable flex for full left or right turns of the van.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
My favourite method for dealing with the cable was also nice and easy. Fix a bungee to the top of the jockey wheel to form a loop. Pass the cable through the loop. Now the elastic in the bungee keeps the cable up and will also allow movement when taking a corner. It can also prevent the wheel unwinding.

I would stand on the jockey wheel lever in order to tighten it up. Worked for me. I have heard that some put a cable tie around the shaft to prevent it dropping, but that needs cutting off each time. If you want to splash out, you could get a notched wheel assembly. Not used them myself, but they look sencible. (The pic is just an example).

1729329939555.jpeg

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We eventually changed our ALKO jockey wheel assembly for the Kartt and no more issues with it unwinding or dropping down.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts