how to re-seal roof bar on your caravan

Sep 10, 2020
Visit site
good morning all,
I've just got a bailey senator caravan 2007 model, I've just noticed that on the roof, there are two metal rails, i believe they are the jointing strips, the adhesive that runs either side has gone hard, and a lot of cracks, so i was wondering if i could remove the old adhesive, then reseal with either sikaflex or would soudal fix all be ok, ive also got some gum waterproof tape to put over the top too, im only new at this caravan thing lol

please help me, im so confused with the web sites!!!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The way to sort out your roof straps is to remove them, clean off ALL the old mastic on both the straps and the van finishing with good cleaning with methylated spirit.

Then apply a good bead of Soudall fixall to each strap in turn and refit the strap securing with stainless steel screws.
The mastic must be enough to squeeze out on both sides of the straps and then tooled to leave a smooth finish.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The job sounds worse than it is, just take your time and do one strap at a time.
It is not worth rushing to do it, you will only make mistakes.

To get the right size new stainless steel screws, use one of the ones you take out as a template.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
MY caravan is now out of warranty, but was resealed by Coachman after a rear panel replacment, I am now thinking of using this tape over all the roof joints,
Damian, any thoughts on this. Please.
Roof lock and Eternabond are two well known tapes for sealing jointing. The latter is shown on YouTube US videos for Motorhome sealing. Both do adhere like crazy so be prepared should they need to be repaired. My Swift Sprite had rear panel replaced and Swift cover the joint with a white tape but I don’t know what it’s name is.

Last edited:

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
MY caravan is now out of warranty, but was resealed by Coachman after a rear panel replacment, I am now thinking of using this tape over all the roof joints,
Damian, any thoughts on this. Please.

If it is not leaking, dont do anything.
Sticking any tape on a van is just either not needed or a very bad way of hiding a problem.

If I were to look at buying a van which had tape on it, I would walk away without a second thought.

Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
If it is not leaking, dont do anything.
Sticking any tape on a van is just either not needed or a very bad way of hiding a problem.

If I were to look at buying a van which had tape on it, I would walk away without a second thought.
Thanks Damian, never thought about that. .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts