How to replace your rooflight

Kate Taylor

Administrator
Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Good evening forum friends, this is just a quick post to let you know that you can now read all about how to dismantle and replace pop-up rooflights here. Our DIY caravan mechanic Nigel Hutson has done the job on his parents' caravan and also taken a second rooflight apart to give it a good clean.

If you've done a similar job on your caravan, please let us know how it went and if you found any challenges.

Nigel explains where he found the replacement part in his article as well. We hope you find it useful if you ever suffer tree-related damage – or indeed simply can't see much light coming through the roof vent because of grime.

5811962-how-to-replace-a-pop-up-rooflight-1.jpg

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Just the job Kate. Thankyou.
Something Practical and achievable.
May I ask Nigel what brand of sealant strips he used. Another job for me in the spring.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Just a little note ;)

The original washers that sit between the screw and the rooflight handle ( two per handle ) deteriorate over time, more so when they have been disturbed, and then let water pass down the screw thread and into the van :(
luckily we were in the van when there was a huge downpoor and water was seen dripping into the van, i had only cleaned this one the previous day :angry: luckily the rooflight was the one in the middle of the van and not over any beds, anyway we were sat there with a couple of pans catching the drips, till the rain slowed, I then nipped out to find the nearest diy store to look for something suitable & Practical ;) to use ....
Well large tap washers came to mind due to the large diameter, we have three of these particular style of rooflights so i used one of these washers under each of the screw heads (12 in total) all three of the rooflights are due to be cleaned again when the better weather comes and new rubber washers will be fitted ;)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sproket said:
Just a little note ;)

The original washers that sit between the screw and the rooflight handle ( two per handle ) deteriorate over time, more so when they have been disturbed, and then let water pass down the screw thread and into the van :(
luckily we were in the van when there was a huge downpoor and water was seen dripping into the van, i had only cleaned this one the previous day :angry: luckily the rooflight was the one in the middle of the van and not over any beds, anyway we were sat there with a couple of pans catching the drips, till the rain slowed, I then nipped out to find the nearest diy store to look for something suitable & Practical ;) to use ....
Well large tap washers came to mind due to the large diameter, we have three of these particular style of rooflights so i used one of these washers under each of the screw heads (12 in total) all three of the rooflights are due to be cleaned again when the better weather comes and new rubber washers will be fitted ;)

Good tip that Your Royal Woosieness

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Good morning DD,

The sealant strip was W4's Small (19mm) Code 00016 which is available at most caravan dealers (and online), and was recommended to me by a dealership workshop.

Sproket,

Good point and worth checking (or for the cost, replacing as you suggest). However, the ones one our example were still flexible and showed no signs of cracks etc, despite being of 1999 vintage! The job was actually done last summer, and despite the weather's best attempts recently, there have been no leaks (thank goodness!).

Nigel.

TRENDING THREADS