Hyundai Santa Fe Self Levelling Suspension

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Would I be correct in saying that the Santa Fe 2.2 diesel 7 seater has self levelling suspension(2006-2008 models)?
Also,would it be possible to add self levelling suspension to the 5 seater models?
Many thanks

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Yes, the 7-seat Santa Fe from 2006-on has self-levelling rear suspension - it can, theorectically, be added to 5-seat models but the cost is around £2000 because the special dampers are £800 a piece.
Not relevant to the age you quoted, 2006-2008, but the benefit of self-levelling on the 2010-on models is marginal. I specifically ordered a 7-seat 2011 model just to get the self-levelling but the 2010-on suspension settings are quite firm and I now feel that ordinary suspension would be quite adequate for towing. My irony is that I now need a 7-seat to get all the family in with an extra grandchild expected.
The 2006-2009 models were quite softly sprung and I wouldn't want one of those unless it did have self-levelling.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thank you for that Roger.
I thought that it may have been a bit cheaper to purchase a 5 seater then adapt the suspension,but maybe not.
Adrian

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
RogerL said:
the 2010-on suspension settings are quite firm

Not half - can really give the man-boobs a shaking sometimes :) The 2010 5 seat def doesn't really need self-levelling - its hard to get the back end to sit down down no matter what it's loaded with.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Shirker said:
RogerL said:
the 2010-on suspension settings are quite firm

Not half - can really give the man-boobs a shaking sometimes :) The 2010 5 seat def doesn't really need self-levelling - its hard to get the back end to sit down down no matter what it's loaded with.
I bought the Santa Fe as a replacement for a Subaru Outback and its firm suspension and "chuckability" were major plus factors.
I've never noticed the effect on man-boobs - too busy looking at real ones!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am known for my views on the after market addition of spring assister's, and I hold the same view with regards to self levelling suspension.

The addition of either of these two gadgets does nothing to increase the load capacity of the vehicle, so if they are being considered to try raise the load capacity, then the application is misguided.

However there is an even greater reason not to fit them as the more vehicles are being fitted with dynamic stability control systems, and certainly with some systems changing the spring rating will affect the stability systems function.

Briefly many of the systems detect vehicle roll by the displacement of the dampers. If you increase the damper or spring rating, the vehicles roll will be reduced sending a smaller signal to the stability system. this means the system will provide a less effective output that may lead to instability when previously it would have controlled it.

I also advise that if you do add uprated dampers or springs including self levelling, there are substantial changes to the vehicle and should be reported to your insurers.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Morning John,
I have OME self levelling suspension, the Sachs shock absorber type.
Surely the manufacturer fitted them as standard for a reason?
smiley-undecided.gif

When very heavily loaded the rear of the Sorrie will drop but after a few yards the Sachs bring her up to level. Surely this must be a good thing and reduce wear on prop shaft joints etc? Afterall it was designed by a Lutz type engineer, well I hope so.
smiley-wink.gif

I had all that ESP etc on my previous car and in all honesty unless you really chucked it into a corner I never felt it activate. I concluded it was primarily put there for the morons who always think they can go faster than the road allows.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Dusty,
I have no problems with OEM (or OME
smiley-smile.gif
) origonal factory fitted equipment. The manufacture will have done their tests and adjustmsnts etc to ensure adequate compatability. You will have to ask the manufacturers about their reasons for offering it as an option. Primarily though as with any adjustment of this type to a standard product, it is rarely to improve safety, usually its to tickle some customers fancy for more gadgets, or apperances.
I do not belive it will make any significant change the wear on propshaft joints they are designed to operate with some angle, and in many cases the angle will reduce towards straight line when the suspension is compressed.
With regards to the degree of 'chucking' a vehicle about before the ESP activates, Firstly there are many different systems, so what occurs for one may be different for others, but that aside, lets consider a simple example.
If a given vehicle uses suspension compression or body roll as a signal for triggering the ESP, and it triggers when an unladen car circles a roundabout at 15MPH.
If the vehicle were laden, then trying the same manouvre would cause the car to roll even more but the ESP would trigger and reduce the speed to less than 15mph to bring the roll back within limits.
However add after market spring assistance or self leveling systems without reprogramming the ESP, and the the same laden vehicle could travel round the island faster and not roll as much so the ESP trigger point is raised. This potential increase in speed may be more than the car can safely manage for that manouvre and as a result may become unstable.
Just because a varient model of your car can be fitted with SLS as an oem option does not necesarily mean it can be safely fitted as an aftermarket gadget. You would need to seek advice from your car manufacture to know whether it is a safe option.
And again just becasue an OEM varient has these gadgets, does not mean you can fit the same or similar product with impunity. If it changes the OEM speck for your particular model the insurance companies may consider it to be a modification and thus if they have not accepted and agreed to it then your insurance may be void.
We all know how much Insurance companies like to wriggle out of liability, so don't give them a chance.

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I am thinking about purchasing a new 2012 Santa Fe in August or September... At the moment, I am thinking about the 5 seat Premium model.. However, I notice from the above (and now that i have read the spec in more detail) that it doesnt come with self levelling suspension... Having never towed with self levelling suspension before (all my towing has been restricted to a 1999 Landrover 110) will i notice a massive difference between having it or not ? Its just that the 7 seat model is an extra £1000 or so, and i dont think i will ever make use out of the 2 extra seats..

TRENDING THREADS