I checked my noseweight yesterday........

May 20, 2006
Visit site
I am going on our main summer holiday in a fortnight i spent the day yesterday at our storage facility polishing the van and cleaning it all through.

As i now have a toddler safe driving is more essential than ever, i have always tried to balance the van veights but never checked the nose weight until now.

I bought a nose weight gauge and checked it, it was over 110kg, i couldnt believe it, my car maxes at 75kg (Mondeo TDCI) i emptied all the front of the van including under the seats and re checked, it was 65kg empty!! I do have a large gas cylinder installed, next time i will get 2 smaller ones instead.

I eventually got it down to 75 and figured that by the time i load our clothes into the rear wardrobe before travelling that will counter act the nose weight and lift it up slightly bringing it a few kg within the limits.

I guess there is no point to this thread apart from to say that its well worth checking, dont take it for granted that you are within limits, i expected to be about 50kg, i couldnt believe it was nearer 110kg.

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi Mike

I'm there with you...it's SO easy to push that noseweight over the top - especially when you look at what's in your front locker...aquaroll handle, box of 'bits & bobs', electric cable etc. Looks like nothing, but it all adds up very quickly.

I found just pulling the awning back a little in the van changed everything.

However, next time I'm up for a gas change, I'll put the Calorlite cylinders in - which should mean I can put some bits back in the front locker!

Friend of mine actually said to me 'What's 'noseweight'?' as he pulled all manner of stuff out of his front locker! And later I saw a van cruising up the M42 with its nose more or less on the ground!

Ouch!

Mac

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
We just have 2 gas bottles and the water/waste pipes in the front locker, all the bits and bobs, and electric cable go into a plastic crate and travel in the van over the axle then when were on site we put it into the front locker for the duration.

Our abbey has a high nose weight empty so we got to work hard to get it down to 75kg

Kevin

May 22, 2006
Visit site
I check mine before leaving home using bathroom scales, my max is 75 but I like to get it at around 72/74 and find I have no problems at all and I dont use a stabiliser at all. Went 459 miles last year to Bodmin no problems at all, this Friday we are going to Weymouth. On my return journey`s I try to remember as close as poss. as to how we Loaded the van, never had a problem in 35 years

Jun 15, 2008
Visit site
Just bought a new van and took it for a spin down to York from Whitley Bay. Prior to setting off I checked the noseweight and nearly broke the gauge! Couldn't believe it was around 100kg which is 25kg over my towball max. I now have the water hog, the waste hog (and what feels like boss hog) in the van, leaving only the gas in the locker with the big feet and some odds and sods. My concern is that to get the right nose wight I had to place a lot of the heavy items slightly behind the axel which led to a feeling that the van was bouncing / dipping /p pitching at the back whilst towing. Do you think it is safer to load closer to or in front of the axel even if this means the nosewight is slightly over at 80-85kg? (The van was slightly nose down when loaded). Appreciate your thoughts.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Geordie,

If you exceed your nose load limit, your outfit is classed as illegal. Your insurance is void, and you are open to prosecution if caught. The word Max means max and there is no latitude for variance over limit.

You must re-arrange your loading to keep your nose load legal, and of course all other aspects of your outfit to comply with the road regs.

Jun 15, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the clear guidance and I will certainly ensure that the noseweight is under the max limit. I also plan to buy a new noseweight gauge as the one I have is old and may be slightly inaccurate. Better safe than sorry as they say!

I'd be interested to know how many caravaners actually check their noseweight as I was the only one who appeared to check before departure this weekend.

Maybe there is some complacency when returning from holiday where by people just pack the van in a similar way to how it was packed when they set off leading to the possibility that they are exceeding their noseweight....

Geordie Ranger

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site
hi mike

i think a lot of people have a little problem with noseweight i did also but i only run one gas bottle now which happens to be the calor lite its the same price as standard but it actually feels empty when you pick one up my noseweight is down to 60kg with atwin axle as well and tows well

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
hi all

i was lucky when i bought my van it came with a nose weight gauge and with all the cars ive had over the years ive been able to adjust the nose weight for the cars ive had

here is a tip i read on this forum for keeping the nose weight down........empty the carver water heater,i dont know about you but i had never thought about until i had read it on here and i would like to thank the person who posted it.

when i bring my van out of winter storage i do a full clean and flush of the water system but i left the carver full of water,like i think most people do and didnt think about the weight of the water in it because it cant be seen so i use to struggle to get the nose weight right.another thing that the poster said about draining the heater was,when you are leaving a camp site the water will be hot so dont drain it on the grass because hot water damages the grass

hope this helps people with nose weight problems

hgv dave

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
I may be boring (I've got a certificate to prove it) but I check my noseweight before leaving home and before leaving the site on the return journey. Never seen anyone else do it and usually get lots of odd looks.....

May 18, 2006
Visit site
Always check the nose weight before setting off from home and from each site. You may think you pack the van the same way each time you set off but the nose weight does vary. Better be safe than sorry.

I am often amazed at how much people carry in their front locker when I see them open it. They must have a load of weight in the back of the van to counter balance it!

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
I'm greatful for the this post. It has prompted me to go out and buy a nose weight gauge.

A bit naughty I know but I have never checked my nose weight as I assumed that two gas bottles and a couple off tools would keep me well under the 75kg of my Mondeo.

I pack my van with great great care and never really have any issues whilst towing but I thought to myself after this post, "If I'm going to all that effort to great a stable setup, why not do it properly.

Thank you

Reagards Gary

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
I'm greatful for the this post. It has prompted me to go out and buy a nose weight gauge.

A bit naughty I know but I have never checked my nose weight as I assumed that two gas bottles and a couple off tools would keep me well under the 75kg of my Mondeo.

I pack my van with great great care and never really have any issues whilst towing but I thought to myself after this post, "If I'm going to all that effort to great a stable setup, why not do it properly.

Thank you

Reagards Gary

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site

Thank you

Reagards Gary

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Some of these posts just leave me speechless.

Noseweight tales here are crazy, as nose weight is a legal requirement issue you need to get it right at all times.

Bathroom scales vary wildly in accuracy I may add.

Having seen a few crashed caravans and knowing a close friend who had a serious caravan accident due to road debris, I would like to know how any accident investigator can tell if you were over the noseweight limit. Most caravans seem to have their contents spread around the road and all around what's left of it.

I think there is little chance that you will fall foul of the law over nose weight, but that should not be an excuse for towing a badly loaded caravan or finding out what you should know and do as a caravanner.

Noseweight is easy to sort out.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Some of these posts just leave me speechless.

Noseweight tales here are crazy, as nose weight is a legal requirement issue you need to get it right at all times.

Bathroom scales vary wildly in accuracy I may add.

Having seen a few crashed caravans and knowing a close friend who had a serious caravan accident due to road debris, I would like to know how any accident investigator can tell if you were over the noseweight limit. Most caravans seem to have their contents spread around the road and all around what's left of it.

I think there is little chance that you will fall foul of the law over nose weight, but that should not be an excuse for towing a badly loaded caravan or finding out what you should know and do as a caravanner.

Noseweight is easy to sort out.
From Time to time the police and other enforcement authorities set up inspection sites, and they pull in vehicles as the approach the site. They are just as likely to pull in a caravan as a lorry.

There are two such sites not far from where I live, and I have seen caravans lorries and coaches being checked.

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
From Time to time the police and other enforcement authorities set up inspection sites, and they pull in vehicles as the approach the site. They are just as likely to pull in a caravan as a lorry.

There are two such sites not far from where I live, and I have seen caravans lorries and coaches being checked.
In the past I've been stopped by Hampshire police at Fleet services at a dedicated caravan inspection area they created on the HGV parking area. VOSA were also present complete with mobile axle weighbridge. The police did a check of the CRIS number and had a quick look around and in the van. Any ones that looked heavy or badly loaded were passed to VOSA for a full inspection and weigh, axle and noseweight. I always check the noseweight when I go away but plead guilty to not checking for the return journey. I allways load the same way but have less gas and dogfood on the way back, noseweight must be slightly lighter.

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Every one on here has been banging on about nose weights (which I check every time) but how many have ever put their caravans on a weighbridge?

I did this week & got a very unpleasent suprise.

Having installed things like a motormover 110 amp/hour battery etc, etc I have now had to apply to the manufacturer to get the axle weight upgraded, if not start striping every thing off the van, or risk getting caught by vosa (who are now doing regular checks)& risk invalidating my insurance & losing my driving licence

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In the past I've been stopped by Hampshire police at Fleet services at a dedicated caravan inspection area they created on the HGV parking area. VOSA were also present complete with mobile axle weighbridge. The police did a check of the CRIS number and had a quick look around and in the van. Any ones that looked heavy or badly loaded were passed to VOSA for a full inspection and weigh, axle and noseweight. I always check the noseweight when I go away but plead guilty to not checking for the return journey. I allways load the same way but have less gas and dogfood on the way back, noseweight must be slightly lighter.
That depends on where you keep your dog food!. if its is behind the axle then its lower weight will actually increase nose load!

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
"JohnL- From Time to time the police and other...." Yes John, but in my life time I have only ever seen this sort of thing don done twice and one time was when I was a girl over 40 years ago. Police stopped and checked caravans in the lay-by area near the swing bridge and Devon Motel at Exeter on the old A38 road. They checked for sleepy drivers and road worthiness of tow cars and caravans.

I don't know anyone and have never met any caravanner who has been stopped and had the nose weight checked.

One of the main reasons we don't use a mover on our T/A is the weight penalty and we use the light weight battery as well.

My only exstravagance with weight are my crystal drinking glasses, I can't abide drinking wine or spirits from anything but glass. Everything else is kept light weight.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts