I got scammed by MOTOR HELP UK LTD

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I got scammed by MOTOR HELP UK LTD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They are http://www.motorhelpusa.com/

Out of the UK

Ok, this happened to me and am trying to dispute it at this very moment.

I put the dispute papers too late in the mail and now I am getting charged for $195.57

This seriously p!sses me off big time.

The guy on the phone named Allen said he had a buyer for my car, and that to make sure that the person comming to see the car didnt waist his time and to save the car for the buyer I needed to come up with $195.57.

I know I am a idiot for that, but I was depserate to sell that car.

Phone number he gave me was bogus.

Disputing it only made them contact my CC company trying to not have the charges reversed.

I found this has happend to other people.

At this point it looks like I am going to eat it, but not without a fight.

Below is some one else that got it, same as me exactally.

Many people who are selling their cars choose to privately go about the deal by listing the car online and in newspaper classifieds. Recently my husband and I listed our 3 cars for sale and what happened next came as an absolute shock to both of us.

Now we all know about internet scams including spam mail that tells you that the bank of Africa wants to deposit money into your account or that you have won the U.K Lotto...etc. But there is another type of scam out there that I didn't know about till 2 days ago that mainly targets people who are trying to sell their used vehicles.

The company that approached us by calling us on the phone has a website which to the untrained eye may look legit but if you know anything about websites you will quickly come to realise that the website is a sham.

They go by Motor help USA and their website is MotorhelpUSA.com, they called us from a number that we tried to call back only to find out it was not theirs. The person who answered the phone actually told us that this company taps into their phone lines and uses them to call people who are trying to sell their cars with a promise that they have a buyer who is interested in the car and they only have to pay them 189 Dollars to match you up with that person and they will return the money to you once the sale is done.

Motor help USA has a history of associating themselves with TheBiglot.com which is a legitimate used car advertising and selling company so make sure you do your research! When and if you are approached by someone trying to convince you they have a buyer for your car here are some tips to help you judge if this is a scam or not:

1-Ask for names, numbers and any kind of paper documentation to prove who they are and where they are located.

2-Check out their website, Websites that look like motorhelpusa.com are a scam.

3-Make sure you understand and are comfortable with everything you are being told. Ask a lot of questions and make sure you are 100% convinced of the sale.

4-DO NOT accept any checks or payment orders for prices that are higher than what you are asking for especially if they tell you to send them back money for this or that.

5-Most of these calls come from people who are outside your region of residence or where you have listed your car for sale.

6-If you are about to proceed with a transaction make sure they know you have a financial adviser/lawyer who is looking over everything and ask them to forward documents to them.

7-Call them back! In my case the number was a false one and that's how I found out.

8-Do not be rushed into making any decisions ASAP. That's a good sign that you are being victimized.

9-NEVER EVER give out any financial or credit card information over the phone unless you trust that you are speaking to a legitimate financial organization and that it is essential to give this info out.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." - George Carlin

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
Harry....you are very brave to let the world know you fell for this scam. Most people in your position would not advertise the fact that they were taken in "Hook Line and Sinker".

Now this company has your credit card details. Watch you account closely because they may try to draw more funds from it. Or better still close the account and open a new one immediately.

Always follow the basic rule of thumb:

If something sounds too good to be true and they want your money up front then it probably is a scam.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Harry,

I am sorry to read of your experience, and whilst it is of little comfort, you are probably much wiser now. I hope you have some luck in reclaiming your money, but I seriously doubt if you will be successful.

My own view is that if I have placed an advert in a paper or magazine to sell an item, then if one of these 'companies' has spotted it then it is also likely that most of my potential buyers will also have spotted it, so why bother with an intermediary who is simply skimming money from the deal. - and as Harry has found out they are often fraudulent.

Same applies to estate agents - 19 years ago, I sold my last house myself, only having to use a solicitor to do the legal work, saved me over

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Harry,

There might yet be some hope.

A couple of years ago I went to see a new car at a dealer's showroom. He was unable to answer a couple of technical points and I also told him that I would return in order that my wife could see the car herself.

The sales manager offered (almost insisted) that one of his salesmen follow me home so that my wife could see it without the need for another 60 mile round trip.

When we got home she liked it, and the salesman asked me for a credit card deposit of

May 21, 2007
Visit site
I definately had a lucky escape.

I was selling my 4x4, 3 years ago.I advertised it on E-bay and in my local paper.I can't remember how much it cost to advertise.Anyway it never sold so I reduced the price( ah I forgot,I also advertised in autotrader) and advertised again on e-bay.Within days of advertising again I received 3 phone calls telling me they had buyers for my car.Could I send

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts