Identity Fraud "Top" Postcodes

Aug 30, 2007
Visit site
Just picked this up on Yahoo News. But note we live out in the sticks and a fairly small local petrol station was scamming cards cards in our local town a while ago so it can happen anywhere.

The worst-affected postcode areas for identity fraud in the UK are:

1. SE16 Greenwich2. CR0 Croydon3. IG11 Barking4. SL6 Maidenhead5. SE13 Lewisham6. E6 Newham7. SW11 Battersea8. E17 Walthamstow9. N14 Southgate10. N4 Stoke Newington/Harringay11. N16 Stoke Newington12. E11 Leyton/Wanstead13. NW2 Cricklewood/Willesden14. BR3 Beckhenham15. HA3 Wealdstone16. SW18 Wandsworth17. E2 Bethnal Green18. NW10 Willesden/Harlesden19. NW3 Hampstead20. N22 Wood Green

Dec 23, 2005
Visit site
It hapened at a petrol station up the road from us in Stoke. The cards were being skimmed and the proceeds sent abroad to the owners family.

The police got on the case and arrested the owners who were subsequently charged and found guilty at court. The petrol station is now a car wash/sunbed salon under new ownership!

Martin.

Aug 30, 2007
Visit site
Yep! Martin

That is exactly what happened here according to our local paper. The family connection allowed considerable internet fraud from scammed credit cards before the link was made. It was big news here!

The family running the station had a device fitted to the card holder that recorded your card details and your pin when you entered it.

Now all my family use cash or just one card for fuel and check it regularly. And of course we are now far more selective about what type of Station we fill up at.

G

Not really. Downing Street is in a london postcode and we all know the calibre of people that live there?? Anyone who would cheerfully steal your old age and rob the dead has to be considered a bit dodgy to say the least.

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
I presume that the safest location is the biggest 24hr supermarket petrol station you can find - the chance of them all being in on the scam over multiple shifts to fit a skimmer must be lower.

And what's wrong with stealing from the dead? They don't need it - so better than taking from the living!

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I would like to make a comment about the people who run most of these petrol stations, but I would then be put down as a 'racist', so I won't go there!!

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Not only in London.

Fairly big case recently uncoverd in the Shell garage in Diss, Norfolk.

I had filled up there the day before I saw it on the news but thankfully it had all been uncovered and corrected by then.

Bill

Aug 30, 2007
Visit site
From what I understand if there is any raised plastic moulding where you insert you card you should be suspicious. You should try to detach it or wiggle it - if you can or it comes away in your hand then stand your ground and ring the police. It is only from an email and cannot be verified but it seems when someone did this the guy behind the counter lept up and did a runner!

Maybe it is just a good story and to be honest i have never really looked at wher my card goes.

I will now!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts