Ile de Oleron / Re?

Jun 12, 2005
Visit site
We are visiting France in the 2nd half of June.One possibility is to visit one of these islands? I wonder if anybody could offer me any advice as to which one, and also the cost of the toll for the relevant bridge? We enjoy the quieter sites such as camping a la ferme, has anybody visited such a site on either island? We would be pleased to receive any advice.

JSGJ

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
From memory the toll when we went to the Ile de Re was around _27 so not cheap, its free to get off the island! When we are next in that area we are thinking of trying the Ile de Oleron next.

David

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
We have spent many weeks on Il de Re since 2003 and just love it. It is much less comercial than Oleron and if you like it quiet I feel sure it would suit. We always us a site near La Couarde in the centre of the Island and cant realy comment on any others, although I cant say I have noticed any camping al a Ferme. Be sure and take bikes if you have them as it is perfect for cycling. 100km of dedicated tracks cover the entire island and you should be able to park up and forget about the car except maybe for a big shop. Oleron bridge is toll free but last year the Il de Re toll was 15euros for car and caravan on the 17th June and it went up on the 2oth to 27 euro. It is around that date every year but the Tourist information can confirm the exact day. There have been moves to make it toll free but these have been opposed by the locals as they see it being flooded by day trips like Oleron (or perhaps they want to keep the riff raff out!)

If I can help any more ask the moderator for my address

Regards

Dave

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We were in the Ile d'Oleron last June, the earlier part and it was far from over crowded then thought undoubtedly it bulks up on week ends. In June I feel its not going too be bad.

The cycle routes are a great plus for us, as well as it being flat but flat, so effortless cycling on a calm day.

Time you access to either totally miss or be counter to the day trippers; like don't go on on Friday night Saturday morning.

We stayed on an ACSI fixed price site, Le Suroit, not far from good shopping and a nice fishing port. Would use the site again but its not exciting; tend to think most sites on what is only sand tend to trier easily but I would not like to leave the impression this is a bad site, its not. Free WiFi around reception.

What I would do a bit of homework on though is, how did these two Islands fare in the recent storms? I think very badly from UK TV coverage, so would want to check if its been well cleaned up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts