I'll try again

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
I've been with virgin for some years.

I was on 1mg but a couple of weeks ago I upgraded to 8mg.

This is the fourth time I typed this.

All I keep getting is pages can't be displayed and it now takes longer for things to open.

To the point I can't even open the stupid virgin page.

Any ideas what to do?

G

Try checking that your Windows operating system is up to date with latest updates.

Assuming you are on XP or Vista, download IE8 from the Microsoft web site.

But Virgin ISP could just have a problem.

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Did you get a new router?

When you say 'can't open', what happens, any error messages.

What happens when you try to open a page like www.google.co.uk

Also,

click on START button, then RUN....

Type in CMD and press enter

Type in PING WWW.GOOGLE.CO.UK and post back here what it says.

Ian

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
are you using their PC Guard software? you may have to change some settings.

The router shouldn't be a problem unless its really really really old but they should have verified this before upgrading.

Are you running Norton Antivirus with Vista or XP as this can also cause slow responses when increasing bandwidth , dont know why but it did on my laptop

If there's still a problem ring their tech department as they will test the router and make sure its' settings are correct.

This happened to me a few times and they found the router wasn't configured properly by the engineer , make sure you save the router URL when they do this so you can check yourself later.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi guys

So many questions so bear with me.

Have rung virgin they say theres no problem in the area.

Supposed to be sending me an email to test something. haven't had it yet.

Ian have done what you said and copied it, this is what was on the screen

pinging www.google.com

209.85.227.91 32 bytes of data

Reply 209.85.227.99 = bytes times =365ms

Reply 209.85.227.99 = bytes times =399ms

Reply 209.85.227.99 = bytes times =370ms

Reply 209.85.227.99 = bytes times =330ms

ping statistics sent = 4 received = 4 lost = 0 (0% loss)

approximately round trip times in milli - seconds

min - 330ms mas = 399ms

average = 366ms

Hope this works I'll see in a minute

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Back again answer went on.

I'm on normal windows xp. and use avg security.

Since I just rang virgin.net they said I would get an email in 5 minutes been 10 minutes now.

problems that happened were Page could not be displayed.

Whan opening the net it would jump to avg in the address bar and say page could not be sisplayed didn't write the numbers down.

When I tried to send replies last night on here and clicked submit, in the in the box that I'm typing in now page could not be displayed. This morning when I did get on I checked my boxes with my daughters machine(she on the same) and found the tick in automatically find my settings wasn't there, it is now.

When I go into control panel and network connections only a lan icon is there, no tick with it it doesn't display my isdn connection icon. will check again though.

Thanks for your help.

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Smiley, ISDN ????

Have you just come off ISDN onto broadband?

Your response from WWW.GOOGLE.COM appears to be 20 time slower than mine.

Do you run regular AD-AWARE and SPYBOT checks?

If no, you shoudl really invest some time on these. Download for free from DOWNLOAD.COM. They will scan your system for any rogue software (not necessarily viruses) which may be slowing your system down.

Keep it coming, chin up we'll get there.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ian

I'm back, have done disc clean and defrag.

Downloaded counter spy on 15 day free trial. Tried the other site you gave but they kept wanting me to register and buy I think.

Did the google thing again numbers have changed

Hi guys

So many questions so bear with me.

Have rung virgin they say theres no problem in the area.

Supposed to be sending me an email to test something. haven't had it yet.

Ian have done what you said and copied it, this is what was on the screen

pinging www.google.com

209.85.227.91 32 bytes of data

Reply 209.85.227.99 = bytes times =288ms

Reply 209.85.227.99 = bytes times =205ms

Reply 209.85.227.99 = bytes times =55ms

Reply 209.85.227.99 = bytes times =76ms

ping statistics sent = 4 received = 4 lost = 0 (0% loss)

approximately round trip times in milli - seconds

min - 55ms mas = 288ms.

I have o idea what it all means, but my machine seems to be better for now!!!

So hat's the verdict??

Is there any other spyware I can get for free?

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi Smiley

The 'ping' stuff was just for me to ascertain that your computer could 'see' the outside world. It could, but it was a bit slow. That could be because the net was busy in your area. A bit like all of your neighbours turning their cold taps on at the same time and wondering why the pressure has dropped. It may be nothing to worry about.

BUT, whats this Counterspy? Its NOT free. My advice is to uninstall (Control panel, add/remove programs and remove it). Go back to DOWNLOAD.COM and download the SPYBOT and AD-AWARE software. Don't click on the adverts, search for these items on download.com. You can see the right ones becaue they have about 300 million downloads. You need to run these. Take it slow, but these are fantastic pieces of software and may reveal why your PC is slow. Its possibly malware, which will be removed by this software.

Ian

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi smiley it looks like the same prob as mine but i'm on talk talk It seems to be quite common as several others I know have had the same

I'v tried every thing I can think of & scanned with several anti virus/security programs with no result

I'm convinced its a ISP fault

T D

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Ok, I downloaded Adware that found a few cookies which were removed as recommended.

I downloaded Spybot that said it found a couple of trojans and some others things, removed as recommended.

Do I need to have both of these on my pc?

How often should I run these systems?

I run my AVG once a week on a full scan.

Next question my daughter has an icon on her madhine which she can see what her speed is.

I have the netgear box by my pc. So any ideas where I can find the speed I'm on. It would be nice to know after doing all this. Female curiosity.

Pc seems quicker now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts