Illeagals in Ouistreham

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
Just back through Ouistreham and thought it a good idea to pass on the advice I got from an unusally pleasant French customs official who searched the van. When mentioning illeagal imigrants i.e had I got any? she asked me had I been to the Carrefour Market supermarket (very close by) as that is a favourite spot for them to try entering ferry vehicles.
David

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
We came through there on Sunday 1st and had no problems at all. We stayed at Les Pommiers the night before and went to the Carrefour.
Did you fill up at the Garage. We tried to but it wouldn't accept any cards even French ones, and had to find somewhere else.

Les

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
carper said:
We came through there on Sunday 1st and had no problems at all. We stayed at Les Pommiers the night before and went to the Carrefour.
Did you fill up at the Garage. We tried to but it wouldn't accept any cards even French ones, and had to find somewhere else.

Les
We did fill up but it only seems to accept Mastercard not visa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Coming home through Ouisterham earlier this year was the first time in 10 crossings that anyone 'searching' the van actually looked under the (fixed) bed - either inbound or outbound. They were very thorough, insisting that my floor safe was opened, and took the tops off containers of whey protein powder. They too asked if I had any illegals, but asked with a smile and the whole thing was conducted in a non-threatening manner.
There was aslo a vast X-ray truck checking the HGVs by X-raying the entire unit (with the driver away from the vehicle). Perhaps the though of receiving a very high dose may be influencing the illegals to concentrate on caravans/motorhomes instead.

On the side issure ofthe filling station near the port, it refused to accept either Visa or Mastercard when I tried it. The chap in the wineshop nearby said this was quite common and was obviously fed up with being on the receiving end of continuous complaints despite having nothing to do with the station. Someone should tell ESSO/EXXON.

Apr 30, 2008
Visit site
We came back via Ouistreham on Tuesday ,also staying overnight at Les Pommiers. On seeing Davids original post, we locked up the van and left it on site and went solo for a few 'bits & pieces' to that Carrifour but Alan had noticed when we passed the Carrefour at Herrouville that fuel was cheaper there so we back tracked there for fuel and didnt have a problem using Visa Debit card although it was a manned station.
Interestingly, we weren't searched on our way out of France but were were very thoroughly checked when we left the UK 3 weeks earlier.

TRENDING THREADS