I'm thinking

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As some of you will know I was recently repatriated from France cos I fell and hurt my ribs.

I have increasingly become dependant on other people to set up my caravan after driving to a site. But I am very reluctant to give up my only hobby - I've been doing it now since 1972.

So what to do?

Is a camper van the solution?

In what way is it different to set up one of these to what I have to do with a caravan?

Water provision seems to be easier.

But is there anything else I might have to be aware of. Obviously I know about the need of a second vehicle but I do have my mobility scooter.

Its the setting up and then destroying a camp that is the major problem!

I'd be grateful for your experiences and advice here!

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Hiya!

Sorry to hear of your misfortune Evans, but I see no reason whatsoever for you to give up on your hobby or even change to a camper van.

I can only speak from my Dad's experience - 82 and a half, triple heart bypass, hip replacement, hip revision, new knee, suffers with arthritic flare ups and relies on crutches to mobilise but if he had to give up going out in his van he may as well be in his box, he has been doing it for years like yourself.

I have known him to set up a crude winch to get his van back on his drive (before he had a mover), he gets his water by putting the aquaroll on his tow ball and driving to the water point, uses a drill to drop his steadies like a lot of people, he is no longer able to put up an awning but so be it, the point I'm coming to is if there's a will there's a way. As long as the spirit remains strong the rest will follow. I must admit he is more of a rallyer so if family are around to help him this end (not always), there is always somebody there to catch him the other end if he's on a bad day. On a personal note I don't enjoy rallying and like to try new places with creature comforts! However, no way would I be on site and not help somebody who I see is not in a position to help themselves or who I see struggling. Trust in human nature, I know its hard these days but there ARE good people out there who will be more than happy to help you I'm sure. If your inner spirit is strong you have nothing to fear. Good luck Evans!

G

Not sure what you do really Evans. Seeing some of the effort some go to with motorhomes a caravan with a motor mover seems easier.

We recently met Andy and Hellen an elderly couple with folding mobility scooters who had given up a motorhome in favour of a large fixed bed caravan, we helped them.

Levelling the motorhome and coping with the steps they found more difficult than a caravan and the car gave them more flexibility with where they could visit.

Hydraulic jockey wheel and motor mover, battery drill and hoses for water if there were no fully serviced pitches.

If you take your time and have good aids, the caravan could still coninue to serve you well I guess.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for that one and all.

I've got all the aids - not the disease!

But I still find it didfficult to set up my van as my staying power walking around is only about ten minutes.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I'd agree with the motor mover thing - almost everyone we met this year (over a 'certain' age) had one! I think we were the exception!

Perhaps what you need is a fit and willing assistant - who can do all the hard work, likes similar sites, - and then you can both just enjoy the holiday!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks again for that one and all.

Thanks Val.

I used to have the help of Doc (Tony Limbrick) who some of you may have come across on other forii (forums) and other good friends, but to some extent I like to be independant. What hsappens in the future as well really depends on the CC and whether they will insure me again for continental travel.

Its a 'booger' getting 'owd!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
All I can say is that when we go on rallies or indeed for that matter, when we are on our own I would help anyone to do any or all of the things you are having trouble with.

There are a couple in our group who are more than 'knocking on a bit'. They also have an adult handicapped son.

When they arrive for a rally its like a whirlwind as everyone drops tools and sites the van and puts up the awning.(making sure the Mrs is INSIDE putting the kettle on!

EofS. If you dont want to go down the Mcaravanning route, then don't.

There's enough good samaritans out there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts