Improving underbench layout.

Sep 8, 2022
Visit site
Is there any reason why this remote receiver unit could not be re-positioned by 90° and to under the MM power switch. Or maybe to over towards the sidewall forward of the Battery box? The useful space in here is really hampered.
My van is a '13 Lunar CK purchased 2 years ago

Attachments

• IMG_20220908_114035_edit_107773319567408.jpg
    IMG_20220908_114035_edit_107773319567408.jpg
    932.6 KB · Views: 86
Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Eeew. Typical caravan wiring job 😬. Hammered in mains t+e flat cable clips, untidy wires, unsealed exit hole with unprotected cables going through. I would tidy it all up, using proper round cable P clips , screwed in, protection for the cables where they go through the floor and sealant in the aperture. Can’t see clearly from the pic , hope that’s not bare copper by the box. I think you could site the control box anywhere subject to it being protected from damage, I see the existing setup has slats over it. With a fragile telescopic antenna sticking out 😀. Oh well, I’d move it as you want and tidy it up. Be aware that these are high current wires and that poor connections or accidental shorts could have serious consequences, terminations and insulation both should be to a good standard,

Steve

Sep 8, 2022
Visit site
Eeew. Typical caravan wiring job 😬. Hammered in mains t+e flat cable clips, untidy wires, unsealed exit hole with unprotected cables going through. I would tidy it all up, using proper round cable P clips , screwed in, protection for the cables where they go through the floor and sealant in the aperture. Can’t see clearly from the pic , hope that’s not bare copper by the box. I think you could site the control box anywhere subject to it being protected from damage, I see the existing setup has slats over it. With a fragile telescopic antenna sticking out 😀. Oh well, I’d move it as you want and tidy it up. Be aware that these are high current wires and that poor connections or accidental shorts could have serious consequences, terminations and insulation both should be to a good standard,

Steve
Thanks Steve, your safety advice is appreciated. I will be looking at re-positioning it as a winter project.

Dec 6, 2022
Visit site

Steve
I really appreciate your suggestion. It is also very helpful for me.

Reactions: SteveW
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Very few of these installations are very well installed and most could be positioned better to increase room in the locker. It looks a simple job provided you have the knowhow. Ours could certainly be improved, but we do have enough storage and have never bothered.
I suspect the fitters give themselves more room to work which is why they waste space. They do have a target time for the work so want it done as quickly as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveW
Sep 8, 2022
Visit site
Very few of these installations are very well installed and most could be positioned better to increase room in the locker. It looks a simple job provided you have the knowhow. Ours could certainly be improved, but we do have enough storage and have never bothered.
I suspect the fitters give themselves more room to work which is why they waste space. They do have a target time for the work so want it done as quickly as possible.

Thanks for your encouragement Raywood

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Don't know about others but I would have thought it unusual for the isolator switch to be in the difficult to access position beneath the cushion of the front bunk (as shown in your photo). When mine was installed it was fitted and sealed near the mains cable inlet and 13amp socket in the end of the battery box, so easy to access and operate while outside the caravan. Can't imaging having to climb into the van to get at it when for example moving the van on to the car hitch, or vica versa on my driveway. I see the aerial is telescopic so presumably needs to be extended as shown already with quite a bend in it and currently vulnerable to getting snapped off.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Our caravan engineer put ours in the battery box where the main cable inlet and satellite socket i found it very easy accessible to suit my mobility needs i think yours need to be moved ,

Reactions: Pasopton
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I can’t conceive of why the red isolator was fitted inside the caravan, it makes it so much more difficult when hitching or dehitching and pitching the caravan.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Think you are looking at previous owner DIY special and also think you can do a better job yourself, relocating the isolator as we have described (mine and others placed in the side wall of the external battery box also handily precludes it being used when the electric hook-up lead is in place), tidying the internal wiring, adding protection to the cables at any rub points and also importantly ensure that it is fused in the +ve nearby the battery terminal before the isolator switch. Perhaps others can confirm the amperage of the fuse required?

Reactions: Pasopton and Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Think you are looking at previous owner DIY special and also think you can do a better job yourself, relocating the isolator as we have described (mine and others placed in the side wall of the external battery box also handily precludes it being used when the electric hook-up lead is in place), tidying the internal wiring, adding protection to the cables at any rub points and also importantly ensure that it is fused in the +ve nearby the battery terminal before the isolator switch. Perhaps others can confirm the amperage of the fuse required?
I think my fuse is 80 amp for a single axle, an 8 year old Power touch

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I can’t conceive of why the red isolator was fitted inside the caravan, it makes it so much more difficult when hitching or dehitching and pitching the caravan.

It might have been all fitted by a previous owner and I know some people are utterly paranoid about cutting holes into their caravans in case it affects their warranty. I have a pal who had a mover fitted by a dealer and he insisted they didn't cut a hole in his caravan side wall. So his is under the bench, stupid location in my book.
I have cut several holes in (new) caravan walls, and I bet I took a lot more care than the manufacturers did to ensure there was enough sealant around them.
I have also "tidied up" wiring and relocated a few things to more sensible, and less damage prone locations as manufacturers do seem to just fit them almost anywhere. Truma combi units being one item that never seems to be located sensibly, rather they fit them smack in the middle rather than up against the side wall to leave a but more space. Mind you with the pathetic payloads caravans come with perhaps that's no bad thing?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts