Ineffective lock on wet-locker door

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Folks

It has just come to my notice that the locking catch on the wet locker door of my Avondale Landranger is virtually useless. The lock is key operated and turn a plastic catch upwards to, supposedly, engage behind the door frame. The turning "arm" (sorry don't know the proper term) is, however not long enough and does not actually engage behind the frame so the door can be pulled open even when locked. I suspect that it has long been like this but I have just not noticed as the rubber seal holds the door shut as it quite a tight fit. I don't really know how it has not sprung open when travelling.

Is there any way of adjusting the door/lock to alter this situation. I can't see any obvious one.

I did consider fitting a metal or plastic plate which

would protude lower than the frame and engage with the lock but there is not really much room for this as the bed slats are right above the hatch framework.

Is it possible to by a lock with a longer arm or just the arm itself? If so any suggestions for suppliers?

Any suggestions or remedies will be very gratefully received as I am worried both about the security aspect and, also, the problem of the good falling out if the door jumps open!!

Regards

Tim

Dec 12, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tim I had a similar problem with my wet locker When it went for service I asked them to sort it, but when I returned home I found it to be the same, should have checked before leaving the dealer! Anyway after a good look at it I noticed that one of the hinge pins was broken, a short plastic pin about 7-8 cms long, this allowed the door to drop slightly when shutting and the locking lever would'nt engage. I rang the dealer, telling them they had'nt sorted it and that the pin was broken & they put one in the post, when I fitted it next day, job sorted, locker stays shut!

Tankie

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the idea Tankie. I did take the pins out and check them but they are fine.

I have thought about a the possiblity of a new lock but I don't know if this will be available as it not just a simple barrel and arm type lock but a 3-hole job (one for the barrel and 2 for the fixing screws) custom fitted to the holes on the plastic door framework. The, too short, plastic arm is not held on by a bolt, it could then be easily replaced, but by an integral ring which is held in place by the lock.

I will have to have a look/chat with my local caravan dealer. Another possibilty may be to fit metal/plastic plate which protrudes below the edge of the frame.

Incidentally on checking I found that the gas locker door, the same type of door, only fitted vertically, is not very good at locking either but it is slightly better than the wet-locker.

Thanks again Tankie for the constructive advice.

Any other suggestions still welcome.

Regards

Tim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts