Inflate air awning in garden with no rail

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
I'm sure I've seen a similar thread here somewhere, but cannot find it.

We bought a second hand Rally 390 air awning last year,but haven't had the chance to try it out yet.
Previous owner said it was 3 months old and used for only 2 weekends.(fingers crossed).

Before we go away in June,I would like to unpack and inflate it to make sure its ok(mainly see if there's any leaks etc..).
No room at storage compound so next best option is in the back garden but do not have the width anywhere to buy and fit an awning rail.
Was wondering if I use protection on the ground(sharp edges,dirt etc..) is it possible to inflate it(maybe lean the rear against a wall).?
I have both manual and 12v pump.
Suggestions welcome..Many thanks

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
I'm struggling to understand what the problem is to be honest!
You're only pumping it up to check condition so what's wrong with it simply "flopping around" on the ground?
Sure, you could raise it up and lean it against a wall if that was going to help.
It's only a matter of adding air.

Reactions: JezzerB
Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
I once used string to tie our long gone air awning loosely to the side of our house via a window.
It had plastic hoops along the back edge, the awning not the house 🙃

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
There isn't actually a "problem"

Not only do we want to check for leaks,but make sure all bits and pieces(curtains,roof liner,any damage etc..) are present before we travel 120 miles,unpack awning and find a problem.

Were going for 9 nights and don't want to spend the holiday with no "useable" awning.
By trying it now,it gives us 8 weeks to sort out any potential faults.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We inflate ours when they arrive new to make sure they are OK, and also if they return wet from a trip,just pump it up and lean against a wall, being Kampa I suspect you will have a single inflation point,as Darren H says you could attach the ends with string through the hoops to stop it blowing away, wouldn't want it to land in the neighbours garden!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We will try and inflate ours tomorrow at Pickering against the caravan not to sure it would fit in the garden with the borders and trees , But best of luck to George and Ade .(y)

May 24, 2014
Visit site
No reason why you cant peg it out as normal and inflate it. I would always advocate dropping a peg or two in just in case of a sudden gust of wind, be we always did that with ours to dry it out if needed. If pegged and guyed, it will almost stand as if it were attached to the awning rail.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I’m hoping my new Vango air awning will be here by mid May, I will definitely be inflating it in the garden before our first trip, brand new or not I want to be sure it’s not going to leak, I’ve been waiting for this to be delivered for a couple of months if I inflate and it leaks there will be a few angry words, no point waiting until I’m on the next site.

BP

Reactions: GeorgeandAde
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We have this coming a 2021 Vango Capella 220 porch awning and this will be put on the caravan rail
1/ Not enough room in the garden with borders and trees
2 I do not want to damage it before I start using it

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts