Information on electric kettles

Aug 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi everyone,

We want to change our caravan electric kettle,which we have had for years, and is now just about had it.We have heard lots of opinions on these kettles, some good some not so good. We would

appreciate help from anyone who has experience and could recommend the best to buy.

Thank you,

Fred

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
HI Fred there have been views on this in the past, of course you can buy a low wattage kettle for caravan purpose.

We always use a typical kettle all you have watch is dont try and run too many other things with it ie if you have your heating on full , tele on and kettle you are likely to knock the trip out at the hook up. The choice is yours.

Sir Roger

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Fred, think of the other people who may be sharing your elctric hook-up post, and leave the bl**dy thing at home!!! We'd been on site for three days last week with no problem. Chummy pitches next door with brand new series 7 Pageant. Next morning I've got no leccy! Out to the post to find the trip down. Switch it on, all OK.Half way through brekky, off again. After three times I went next door. They've got central heating, water heater, telly and fan heater on, and yes, you've guessed, an electric kettle.When I pointed out the problem, he agreed not to use it. Next morning, no leccy. We were leaving the next day, but he still could not see the problem was his kettle.

You just can't tell some people.

Now I'm not suggesting that you'd be like that Fred, but it's so easy to forget, so please, think of your neighbours, and ditch the leccy kettle, please! It might be me next door!!

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Aware of the problem of overloading the E.H.U. we bought a low wattage, 1000w, kettle; found it took ages to boil and, we suspect, is now not quite reaching boiling point. All standard wattage kettles seem to be in the 2850w - 3000w range then today I found a Russell Hobbs Aura at 2000w, (Morrisons

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We use a French Tefal 1200 watt, 1 litre kettle. Ideal size and power for us giving a four cup pot of tea in a few minutes.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with high power kettles, as Sir Roger said you just have to watch your power and not exceed what is available.

There is nothing unique about the power a kettle takes. You can use your allotted allowance however you wish, there is no magic device in the EHU post that discriminates against people with kettles that then punishes your neighbour.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

We have a Russell Hobbs 800 watt kettle - boils around 1 litre of water (maybe less)- sure it takes longer than our kitchen kettle - but it's been used all over Europe.

Fridge + 800 watt kettle + radio + battery charge is safely below the MCB 6 amp trip on many continental sites - particularly the Dutch "VeKaBo" version of UK CL/CS camp-sites where three (or more) vans may share one 16 amp hook up.

Robert

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
If I have too many electrical appliances on at the same time, the MCB in the 'van trips before the outside bollard. It certainly saves me having to do mental arithmetic. Mind you, the problem is almost always caused by switching on the hair dryer in a dozy state.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
JTQ, I never said that the kettle was the cause. The problem was that he left everything else on when switching on the kettle.People simply forget, and that is where the trouble starts.

Aug 4, 2007
Visit site
Hello again,

Thank you all very much for the very useful and interesting comments. I would have to agree that overloading the system can be a problem, and it's something I would be very conscious

about. However my wife loves her coffee, and if we were using gas we would need to be connected to the main supply.

I think I'll go for the low wattage again.

Thanks

Fred

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts