Initial water set up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 2024
Visit site
My caravan has sat idle since the service in June of 2023, when I first connect up the aquaroll should I put puriclean in the initial run of water, or set it up get it flowing and then add the puriclean?

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Personally I fill an Aquaroll with Puriclean mix and pump it through the water system until it is full/all air removed and let it sit for 36 hours. As this depletes the mix in the Aqua roll by about a 1/3 I top it up with 10 to 15 litres worth of Puriclean mix so that the whole Aquaroll gets cleaned.

For the Wastemaster I buy a bottle of cheap Aldi bleach and pour half of it into it and fill up with water and leave for 36 hours before emptying and rinsing.

Some don't bother to clean their water systems but as we use ours for teeth-brushing etc I like it to be steralised.

Reactions: RogerL
Feb 6, 2024
Visit site
Personally I fill an Aquaroll with Puriclean mix and pump it through the water system until it is full/all air removed and let it sit for 36 hours. As this depletes the mix in the Aqua roll by about a 1/3 I top it up with 10 to 15 litres worth of Puriclean mix so that the whole Aquaroll gets cleaned.

For the Wastemaster I buy a bottle of cheap Aldi bleach and pour half of it into it and fill up with water and leave for 36 hours before emptying and rinsing.

Some don't bother to clean their water systems but as we use ours for teeth-brushing etc I like it to be steralised.
Thanks very helpful, I understand the process from the videos but they don't answer my question like you have.
Both the aquaroll, wastemaster and truma connection are brand new.

Reactions: GaryB
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Thanks very helpful, I understand the process from the videos but they don't answer my question like you have.
Both the aquaroll, wastemaster and truma connection are brand new.
Even if they're new I would still clean them as new plastic parts are possibly "contaminated" with mould release spray etc from the production process and sometimes the water can taste and smell a bit "chemical-ish".

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We seldom bother with sterilising our system as don't drink water from it anyway. However whatever you use makes sure that it is not Miltons!

A little hint. Go to the local hardware store and look for the sterilising powder for brewing beer. Same product, different packaging but a whole lot cheaper.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There is a general consensus that long term exposure (over 15 minuets) of Milton and other similar sterilising solutions can begin to interact with metals.

There are plenty of recommended sterilising solutions suitable for caravan systems

Always follow the manufacturers dilutions and exposure instructions.

Reactions: Richtee180
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I only left it in for 1 hour and only did the system twice a year. Drank site water from aqua roll via caravan system and never had any ill effects. WRT taste Ive had lots of exposure to chlorinated drinking water made from sea water so site water was quite pleasant in comparison.

• Haha
Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
Nothing! It contains the same stuff as Puriclean and the other cleaning agents - the problem is caused by allowing the solution to stand too long and then not rinsing thoroughly with plain water afterwards.
Not so !
Puriclean contains chlorine dioxide a different compound from Milton's sodium hypochlorite.
As others have menioned, Milton will corrode stainless steel in boilers along with aluminium parts.

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
I use puriclean but interestingly the manual for my caravan says:

'When cleaning the water system at the start or the end of the season, it is advisable to use the sterilising fluid, e.g. Milton 2, Chempro SDP or similar'

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
We tend not to delete threads just because the OP has had their questions answered.

Posts can contain useful information for others who have similar questions.

I'll just lock this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts