Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I doubt very much that it would contain asbestos. In 1984, caravan construction mainly consisted of a wooden ply floor supported on joists running lengthwise. Walls and roof consisted of a wooden framework built from 1"x1" timber. Aluminium on the outside and plywood or hardboard on the inside. Within the cavity was fibreglass mat. In later years, the floor and walls were a bonded sandwich consisting of ply, polystyrene and aluminium or GRP.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Most manufacturers changed from glassfibre to foam sandwich insulation in the early 1980's. I would have thought that asbestos insulation would have been far too heavy to use in a caravan.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Micheal, Most of teh mainstream manufactures were beginig to use bonded wall construction, otherwise expanded polystyrene panels were still common. teh dangersof asbestos were known at that time so I think it is unlkely to find any in the wall cavity. However if you are in any doubt, seek the help of the environmental officer at your council who will be able to more specific advice, and may be able to check the caravan for you.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
many thanks to the two john`s and roger for the very usefull replies,i was sealing around the joins of the van and removed the light to expose what i now know as fibre glass,i have to replace a section of floor and part of a wall panel due to damp ,it sounds like a lot of work but the rest of the van seems sound...thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts