Insurance - Be Sure You Are Fully Covered!

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
My van Insurance is due in a couple of weeks. My current Insurer is Caravan Guard (who I have used for more than one year). They sent me the usual reminders including a renewal premium a few £ less than last year. Of course, as expected, they did ask me to check current van price and since that has increased I expected the premium to increase too. The new premium has increased - by less than £10.

Obviously we all have differing considerations with regards to cover so my experience may not "fit everyone" . (Basically new for old, Eccles 480 2019, contents and awning covered, £100 excess, with no claims, legal cover, European cover and no protected bonus).

I have been insured with Towergate in the past so filled out an on-line form but was told I would need to speak with them before moving forward. Turns out they wanted to confirm I had no medical conditions that affected my driving licence. I was given a price over TWICE that I have paid with Caravan Guard.

But here's the bit that really surprised me.

Towergate ask on the application form if you want extended cover. That translates to the policy covers the van whilst being towed but NOT SITED OR IN STORAGE. If you want that you tick the box and pay extra for it.

I have just telephoned Caravan Guard concerned that I may have missed similar constraints but I am informed, as expected, provided the agreed security devices are in place the van is covered with no extra premium or declaration required.

Please be sure you are covered wherever it is needed. To have damage on-site that's not covered could be disastrous.

Reactions: Raywood
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As ever it only goes to show that should not buy insurance based purely on price alone. You have to check the T&C's to ensure you know exactly what they are covering and more importantly what they are not.

Unlike car insurance where the minimum Third Party has and industry wide definition to comply with the UK road regulations, there is no minimum insurance standard set for trailers and caravans, so each company has free reign to include or exclude whatever they like.

The cheapest is often cheapest becasue they put more constraints on what they actually cover so they have liability on fewer claims.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
As ever it only goes to show that should not buy insurance based purely on price alone. You have to check the T&C's to ensure you know exactly what they are covering and more importantly what they are not.

Unlike car insurance where the minimum Third Party has and industry wide definition to comply with the UK road regulations, there is no minimum insurance standard set for trailers and caravans, so each company has free reign to include or exclude whatever they like.

The cheapest is often cheapest becasue they put more constraints on what they actually cover so they have liability on fewer claims.

Yes - Agreed.

However the company that was twice the price of Caravan Guard was the company offering cover ONLY when towing. The cover whilst on site or in storage was an EXTRA.

It's a bit like insurance for a boat that does not cover it whilst in water! (Just another way to extract money from the punters the cynic in me would say).

Surprising thing, as pointed out, was the company I've used (Caravan Guard) automatically gave cover when on site or in storage and their premium was less than half that quoted by Towergate.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I had to sell my father’s house and informed the insurer Towergate it would be empty pending sale. All gas, water, etc turned off and no contents. They transferred me to a sister company that looked after properties pending sale. Because I had to leave the storage heaters on as it was winter (prevent freezing) the premium shot up, and there was a requirement for the property to be checked over every seven days. Fortunately a neighbour was willing to do that. But what they would not accept is that it’s not uncommon for a property owner to go on holiday, be in hospital etc for more than 7 days. But they refused to recognise the illogicality of their position. A check over every 7 days isn’t sufficient to prevent squatters should they be so inclined.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yes - Agreed.

However the company that was twice the price of Caravan Guard was the company offering cover ONLY when towing. The cover whilst on site or in storage was an EXTRA.

It's a bit like insurance for a boat that does not cover it whilst in water! (Just another way to extract money from the punters the cynic in me would say).

Surprising thing, as pointed out, was the company I've used (Caravan Guard) automatically gave cover when on site or in storage and their premium was less than half that quoted by Towergate.
We were with Towergate on previous caravans and they were very competitive however now their premiums are ridiculously high as if they no longer want to insure caravans i.e. we were paying about £450 and the on renewal they wanted close to £900 although we had never claimed and nothing had changed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If an insurer had taken a corporate decision to stop insuring a particular sector of the business they would simply inform policy holders that the policies will not be renewed after a certain date. They wouldn't just hike the premiums in the hope punters would take the hint, becasue they would still have to support those policies (taking time and manpower) if punters just accepted the higher premiums.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
If an insurer had taken a corporate decision to stop insuring a particular sector of the business they would simply inform policy holders that the policies will not be renewed after a certain date. They wouldn't just hike the premiums in the hope punters would take the hint, becasue they would still have to support those policies (taking time and manpower) if punters just accepted the higher premiums.
The money market, compare the market companies , all quote figures from different insurers where the difference is beyond belief? SWMBO has been with R&SA for decades. No longer. They stopped underwriting motor insurance.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I had to sell my father’s house and informed the insurer Towergate it would be empty pending sale. All gas, water, etc turned off and no contents. They transferred me to a sister company that looked after properties pending sale. Because I had to leave the storage heaters on as it was winter (prevent freezing) the premium shot up, and there was a requirement for the property to be checked over every seven days. Fortunately a neighbour was willing to do that. But what they would not accept is that it’s not uncommon for a property owner to go on holiday, be in hospital etc for more than 7 days. But they refused to recognise the illogicality of their position. A check over every 7 days isn’t sufficient to prevent squatters should they be so inclined.
The requirement is so that any problem can be picked up as early as possible. It does not prevent a problem but can reduce the cost of any claim.
The seven day requirement seems very harsh though as most insurers use at least 14 days. The heating point is standard although I do not see why the premium is increased. When my father in law died we were required to heat to 12 degrees which in itself seemed high.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The requirement is so that any problem can be picked up as early as possible. It does not prevent a problem but can reduce the cost of any claim.
The seven day requirement seems very harsh though as most insurers use at least 14 days. The heating point is standard although I do not see why the premium is increased. When my father in law died we were required to heat to 12 degrees which in itself seemed high.
It still seems illogical as you don’t have such a restriction if you go away on holiday. Even 2 weeks does not correlate either. Methinks it’s a money making approach.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Just for clarity here is the Towergate on-line application form for a caravan:

Towergate.png

In my view not including cover when on site or in storage as standard - surely that's what most of us want - is yet another way to extract higher premiums . It's an "extra". The ask if you want to EXTEND your cover and will charge you more fort the privilege.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Just for clarity here is the Towergate on-line application form for a caravan:

View attachment 6072

In my view not including cover when on site or in storage as standard - surely that's what most of us want - is yet another way to extract higher premiums . It's an "extra". The ask if you want to EXTEND your cover and will charge you more fort the privilege.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:
I agree with you in principle, but think you may have interpreted the condition incorrectly. The exclusion is only for accidental damage cover. The van would still be insured for fire and theft on site or storage.

I agree that accidental cover would be desirable at all times and generally expected.

John

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I agree with you in principle, but think you may have interpreted the condition incorrectly. The exclusion is only for accidental damage cover. The van would still be insured for fire and theft on site or storage.

I agree that accidental cover would be desirable at all times and generally expected.

John
I disagree John. It is not an exclusion but an offer of extended cover for when the caravan is not being towed.
I don’t see where you get the fire and theft bit from but what about all the other perils like storm , flood etc.? Imo the wording quoted above is ambiguous and misleading to the ordinary person.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I disagree John. It is not an exclusion but an offer of extended cover for when the caravan is not being towed.
I don’t see where you get the fire and theft bit from but what about all the other perils like storm , flood etc.? Imo the wording quoted above is ambiguous and misleading to the ordinary person.
By exclusion. I meant that accidental cover is not included when sited. Which would amount to an exclusion when compared to what I consider would be the norm in my experience.

With fire and theft, I should have added etc, to include those other hazards you mention.

My point being, that in the OP’s origional post suggests that the van is NOT insured while in storage.

Quote.

Towergate ask on the application form if you want extended cover. That translates to the policy covers the van whilst being towed but NOT SITED OR IN STORAGE. If you want that you tick the box and pay extra for it.

My interpretation is that it is not insured just for accidental damage while in storage.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have only briefly looked at the wording in the picture, and frankly it does seem ambiguous, and its disconcerting when a policy says things like "what is excluded" ... then it rather than list whats excluded they refer you to other parts of the T&C's, its not reader friendly, and it make me suspicious the company may be deliberately making it unclear what they are actually covering, hoping to make a sale (and thus a profit) and also avoid making a pay out also protecting profit.

This is why it important to not just read the T&C before agreeing to take out a policy, but to understand what they are actually offering

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Although it is important to always read the T&Cs unfortunately most of us are too trusting and agree to the T&Cs anyway. Sometimes you start reading the T&Cs which is so full of legalities and also pages and pages long, you give up and agree anyway. :(

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Someone (on another forum, and I have conversed with them directly over this issue) had a caravan run away whilst hitching up. Towergate insurance did NOT cover the owner for the subsequent damage caused to the caravan because it was not attached to the towing vehicle at the time, and they had not paid the additional premium to cover damage caused under such circumstances.
That fact alone would be more than enough to cause me not touch them with someone else's barge pole! The requirement to pay an additional premium under such circumstance appears, to my view, to be nothing short of disgraceful. Others of course may feel differently.
Me? I am (and have been for some years) insure with Caravan Guard. Very competitive premium AND decent cover, including accidental damage when not attached to towcar, which, apart from fire, theft and flood, is what I want (and would expect)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Playing devil's advocate to some extent here, but sometimes a policy might cover more than is needed, so it might be useful for some people to be able to pick and choose what cover to take up, in which case a policy that itemises parts could be useful to reduce costs. But I am aware that in the case in discussion the company does not appear to be competitive. so it's a moot point.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Although it is important to always read the T&Cs unfortunately most of us are too trusting and agree to the T&Cs anyway. Sometimes you start reading the T&Cs which is so full of legalities and also pages and pages long, you give up and agree anyway. :(
My wife sometimes plays hell with me for reading these things. I have found a few problems with some though so I feel justified.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Someone (on another forum, and I have conversed with them directly over this issue) had a caravan run away whilst hitching up. Towergate insurance did NOT cover the owner for the subsequent damage caused to the caravan because it was not attached to the towing vehicle at the time, and they had not paid the additional premium to cover damage caused under such circumstances.
That fact alone would be more than enough to cause me not touch them with someone else's barge pole! The requirement to pay an additional premium under such circumstance appears, to my view, to be nothing short of disgraceful. Others of course may feel differently.
Me? I am (and have been for some years) insure with Caravan Guard. Very competitive premium AND decent cover, including accidental damage when not attached to towcar, which, apart from fire, theft and flood, is what I want (and would expect)
100% agree. Which I suppose is why I thought others should be aware of issue.
I too use Caravan Guard, who as noted earlier certainly do cover the van whilst unhitched, and find premiums competitive (although never had a claim!).

It seems to me that a forum has the important role of raising awareness even though the range of opinions may vary and, indeed, contradict. Let's hope that this thread has prompted someone to check their cover and ensure there are no very unpleasant surprises awaiting should a claim be necessary.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts