Insurance claim dilemma

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yesterday somehow I lost my gold signet ring with my initials on it. It was bought for me in the late eighties by my wife when she was still the girlfriend. At the time it cost South African Rand R500 or about £140 which was a lot of money back then. Exchange rate at the time was about R3,50 to the GBP. Unfortunately I no idea of its value in today's market as it was 18crt South african gold. Price of gold has obviously risen tremendously over the past 30 years.
My dilemma is making a claim from our home insurance as cannot prove the value or even whether I ever owned such a ring as no photos. Also don't want to pay an excess of £100 to be paid out £250 however if ring was worth more it may be worth it. Googling similar rings are valued at anything between £150 to well over £1000.
Lesson learnt and will now photograph our other jewellery etc. not that we have a lot anyway.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yesterday somehow I lost my gold signet ring with my initials on it. It was bought for me in the late eighties by my wife when she was still the girlfriend. At the time it cost South African Rand R500 or about £140 which was a lot of money back then. Exchange rate at the time was about R3,50 to the GBP. Unfortunately I no idea of its value in today's market as it was 18crt South african gold. Price of gold has obviously risen tremendously over the past 30 years.
My dilemma is making a claim from our home insurance as cannot prove the value or even whether I ever owned such a ring as no photos. Also don't want to pay an excess of £100 to be paid out £250 however if ring was worth more it may be worth it. Googling similar rings are valued at anything between £150 to well over £1000.
Lesson learnt and will now photograph our other jewellery etc. not that we have a lot anyway.
Sorry to hear about the ring. Can understand your sentiment. Some years ago our house was burgled and apart from getting the new vcr recorder replaced quickly the rest was a difficult issue as many things were gifts and neither we nor the original purchasers had receipts. Fortunately we had family pictures and videos from which we were able to convince the insurers of our loss Since then we have taken photos of rooms and items, plus where we do have receipts they are scanned too. It’s surprising how many receipts from thermal printers fade very quickly. No prizes for guessing where the copies are stored?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the ring. Can understand your sentiment. Some years ago our house was burgled and apart from getting the new vcr recorder replaced quickly the rest was a difficult issue as many things were gifts and neither we nor the original purchasers had receipts. Fortunately we had family pictures and videos from which we were able to convince the insurers of our loss Since then we have taken photos of rooms and items, plus where we do have receipts they are scanned too. It’s surprising how many receipts from thermal printers fade very quickly. No prizes for guessing where the copies are stored?
At the time the wife was only working part time so to her it was lot of money.. I am now going to check all family photos to see if it can be spotted. Unlikely, but if you don't try you will never know.
Also going to retrace our steps and go back to the supermarkets visited yesterday on the off chance and also to the caravan which we visited yesterday.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
At the time the wife was only working part time so to her it was lot of money.. I am now going to check all family photos to see if it can be spotted. Unlikely, but if you don't try you will never know.
Also going to retrace our steps and go back to the supermarkets visited yesterday on the off chance and also to the caravan which we visited yesterday.
Wish you good luck.. Someone may have given it in to a supermarket. Know any metal detector owners who may “work” the grass and gravel areas you visited? A local club maybe.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Manage to find 2 - 3 photos with picture of ring. Unfortunately due to putting on too much weight and had to stop wearing the ring for awhile and it was in that period that photos of my left hand were clearest. Sods law!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
A lot will depend on who the insurer is and the estimated value of the ring. The photos should help, although they would not prove if it was 18 carat or something else. Most insurers have jewellery contacts who value them for them and normally offer a discount to the insurer to replace it
In that case you will probably get a choice of replacement, if possible, or the discounted value of the ring. The policy gives the insurer the choice.
I have photos of all our jewellery and valuables just in case, and would recommend this to anyone who has not done that. If you have anything really valuable, a professional valuation is a good idea and may be required by the insurer before they will cover it. There will be a single article limit and anything over that needs to be declared. This will vary from company to company so you need to check your policy to see what it is.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Clive sad memories of your house burgled but lesson learnt thankfully ...

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Clive sad memories of your house burgled but lesson learnt thankfully ...
The lesson to be learnt was to up the security and photo record all rooms and receipts. The entrance was forced through a first generation upvc kitchen window. Very little discernible damage to the window. In fact it took me a while when I took my daughter back to fully realise that something was amiss. Our daughter was living in the house but at the time she was staying with us at our house in the Lake District. We had a good idea who did it, or was involved, but the police were unable to obtain any leads.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Good news! There are still honest and decent people around. We retraced our steps from yesterday and first went to storage and no luck. Then off to Morrisons and it had been handed in there. I nearly cried with emotion getting the ring back I was that happy.
Now to find a jeweller that can reduce the size of the band as I have lost a lot of weight in the past year. :D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts