Insurance declined.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I have just been shopping around for insurance prices. No pronlem with Caravan Club (CAMC if you must), C&CC and all the other less known ones except Caravan Guard.

Caravan is kept on driveway, with hitch lock, wheel clamp, locking steadies. Insurance declined because of value of caravan and not using AlKo wheel lock, which of course is not feasable to use here.

If caravan was a cheaper build, and not on new for old, they would have insured it.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The true value of any insurance policy only becomes known if you make a claim.
I insured a new caravan with the C&CC new for old and the caravan was written off in floods three months later.
No quibble or bother, the insurers acted very promptly, we replaced the caravan and I can't recommend the C&CC insurance highly enough.
They removed the stress and worry from a bad situation

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Sounds a bit over the top but the policy is written by RSA who are very cautious in their approach. We currently use C&CC and had great service when we did have a claim. We had good service from CAMH too but they got very expensive.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Strange how CMHC and CCC seem to move around on their prices. For some years CCC were consistently cheaper than CMHC but when I insured the current van in spring 2017 CMHC were cheaper by around £25. And again in Spring 2018 when I compares policy prices. But like others have said you only know how good your insurer is if you have to use them. So I stick to either of the Clubs.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Thingy said:
Caravan is kept on driveway, with hitch lock, wheel clamp, locking steadies. Insurance declined because of value of caravan and not using AlKo wheel lock, which of course is not feasable to use here.
Does this mean when you take out a policy with any other company and they ask the standard question "have you ever been declined insurance" and you answer in the positive it will have an impact on the price of the new policy?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
chrisbee1 said:
Thingy said:
Does this mean when you take out a policy with any other company and they ask the standard question "have you ever been declined insurance" and you answer in the positive it will have an impact on the price of the new policy?

That sort of decline would not affect your answers to another company. They have declined to insure because you were not able to meet all of their conditions. Not because of any personal deficiency that leads them to consider you a bad risk. Ie fraud, false statements, double claiming etc.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
That sort of decline would not affect your answers to another company. They have declined to insure because you were not able to meet all of their conditions. Not because of any personal deficiency that leads them to consider you a bad risk. Ie fraud, false statements, double claiming etc.

Agreed, no worries on that score. They would have insured it if I had been prepared to use the Alko wheel lock.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We had no problem with C&CC price this Spring. Only increase was due to us upping sum insured to allow for increase in price on replacement as new.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
CMC must have been listening to complaints about their insurance prices. My renewal just in and it has actually came down in price, not a lot, as someone used to say but a decrease for the same cover. Apparently they have reviewed their pricing procedures.

I used to be with Caravan Guard as mentioned in OP but changed a good number of years ago when they also declined to continue the policy unless I put security posts in my driveway. No obvious reason for this request, I hadn’t made a claim and no attempted thefts.
Changed to Caravan Club, as it was then, and stuck with them. Made one claim for damage to side of van a few years back which was dealt with quickly and problem free. At the time of that claim my local caravan dealership which was undertaking the repair mentioned they are always pleased when any insurance work is through one of the Clubs as it is always sanctioned quickly and never any fuss.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Thingy said:

Agreed, no worries on that score. They would have insured it if I had been prepared to use the Alko wheel lock.

Ihave been insured with Caravan Guard for the last 13 years and I have never been asked to use an Al-ko wheel lock.or locking posts in my drive. although I do store it on a Coassa gold site.
Both of the last vans were insured new for old as they were purchased new.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Its got a lot to do with new for old, and the replacement cost of the van. They would have happily insured at market value.

Tried the C&CC and they were slightly more expensive than CAMC.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Thingy said:
Its got a lot to do with new for old, and the replacement cost of the van. They would have happily insured at market value.

I got quotes from many insurers for a new 2018 Sprite, with New for Old, no AL-KO lock & stored on the drive, C&CC, CAMC, Caravan Guard and LV were all way more expensive than Tower Gate, who the policy is with. This is my first year of Caravan Insurance though, as the old one was too old to insure.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
Thingy said:

I got quotes from many insurers for a new 2018 Sprite, with New for Old, no AL-KO lock & stored on the drive, C&CC, CAMC, Caravan Guard and LV were all way more expensive than Tower Gate, who the policy is with. This is my first year of Caravan Insurance though, as the old one was too old to insure.

I would never say the caravan is too old to insure as you need the third party liability cover. In the extreme, imagine you are sited between two brand new motorhomes and your caravan catches fire and the motorhomes are both burned out. In practice most claims I have seen have been people who have fallen off the step and even then they canrun into thousands of pounds.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
CAMC last twenty years. Premium stable but cover broad and restrictions very few. Five years was no quoted by Caravan Guard as we bring the caravan onto our driveway about a week before departure. Ridiculous. CAMC no problem with driveway. Security devices required not onerous.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
CAMC last twenty years. Premium stable but cover broad and restrictions very few. Five years was no quoted by Caravan Guard as we bring the caravan onto our driveway about a week before departure. Ridiculous. CAMC no problem with driveway. Security devices required not onerous.

I’m with CMHC but have used CCC too. Both are good premium prices and flexible wrt storage arrangements. I found Caravan Guard onerous. Last week another van went missing from a local CASSOA site too.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I wonder if the variation in premium and response of insurers other have quoted may bee due to different post codes. I always knew that London area used to have higher premiums for every class of insurance, but I had not realised just what effect the post code can have until moving from the North West ( better not be more specific) to rural Somerset. House (actually larger than one in NW) and car premiums reduced more than 50% by same insurers.
If different insurers apply different risk factors to the same postcode then this could xplain some of the anomalies.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
RayS said:
I wonder if the variation in premium and response of insurers other have quoted may bee due to different post codes. I always knew that London area used to have higher premiums for every class of insurance, but I had not realised just what effect the post code can have until moving from the North West ( better not be more specific) to rural Somerset. House (actually larger than one in NW) and car premiums reduced more than 50% by same insurers.
If different insurers apply different risk factors to the same postcode then this could xplain some of the anomalies.

For many insurance policies post codes are important because theft and vandalism particularly are far more prevalent in those areas. These are usually inner city, but there are others which statistics show are high, and this can cause the premium to rise substantially. There are other factors however like flood risk which will also affect premiums if you live in a potentially risky area.

Not all insurers rate caravan policies on postcodes to the same extent though, or at all, so you can get very wide differences in premiums due to this. You will also find that unlike car and house insurance the numbers of policies are far smaller so the statistics are not always as accurate, and companies will sometimes have freak results that would have had less effect if the numbers were higher.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts