Insurance. Not what or who, but where.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I phoned the insurers recomended by Freedom, to get cover for my new van.
"Where will it be kept?"
"I'm hoping you will let me keep it in the private lane behind my house?" (The back-lane is a cul-de-sac, my house is at the end).
"We cannot quote for that!"
"OK, I'll keep it in a storage yard with CCTV and electric gates, along with about 100 other caravans".
"We cannot quote until we have full details!" (It would have helped if she had told me what details they wanted).
I terminated the conversation. What I wanted was some idea of what they were likely to charge me. Getting down to the nitty-gritty comes after they have attracted my attention. All they had to do is to indicate what the premium is likely to be ..... subject to approval of my proposal.
But I got sneaky, I went to the same companies web-site, filled in all the details required on the first page, clicked continue ........nothing happened. Clicked continue a few more times, then logged off.
So I guess I'm going to be on the phone today, looking for somebody who wants my money. In the meantime, has anybody here been down the same road. If it helps, I am going through the motions of buying the back-lane, but am not sure if I will be allowed to erect a gate.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
The insurance company have asked the correct questions so I don't understand the issue. Never heard fo freed om though. Why don't you try the CC or Bakers of Cheltenham but have the address of the storage facility first as there are three different levels of CASSOA storage site never mind private sites.

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
good morning 602,
try the caravan club providing you adhere to the security locks they stipulate. you should get a quote without a problem.
regards

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The Camping & Caravanning Club offer a high level of cover for similar rates to that of the CC.
They offer discounts for security measures such as wheel clamps, hitch-locks, alarms and tracking devices and although an address is needed where the caravan will normally be kept they can usually offer cover.

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
Try Axa, when I asked about security their reply was:
'For our caravan policies, there is no security restriction regarding locks on wheels, storage location etc;'

& their quote was extremely competitive at 200 € per year, including full European breakdown & recovery.

Oh, sorry, you're in the UK
smiley-tongue-out.gif

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

Spent the morning on the phone, learned the folowing.......
We can park the caravan on our drive ..... but we don't have one#
We can park it in a neighbours drive, but they all use theirs.
We can park it in a proper caravan storage site ..... provided the gates are always locked. Our local yard has electric gates, but they are open when the proprietor is on site. I don't think there is a CAS-thingy within 50 miles. But I will check after posting this mail.
Premiums ranged from £170 (maybe shave a bit off) to £250 (maybe more).
Likely of flooding seems important. Our street is scheduled to flood once every thousand years ..... which probably means next year. The storage yard is on top of mountain.
I will now go and do a Google for Caravan Club Insurance, give the phone number to my wife.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,
Google produced a CASSOA compound at Merthyr Tydfil, about 10 miles up the road. Rent £340 per year (hurts when you are used to paying £200, and 5 miles away.
Anyway, we will go and look tomorrow.
Many thanks

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
CC is worth joining if only for the 5 van caravan sites and there are lots in Wales and many right by the seaside. I wouldn't give C & CC the time of the day, but that is just me yet others swear by it.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

My options seem to be......
Park in my drive .... difficult cos I don't have one ..... pay £180 premium (less 15% if I join a club)
Park in my usual compound ...... probably pay £180 premium (less 15%) plus £200 rent .... only nobody will insure my van for that compound.
Park in the nearest CASSOA compound, which is over 10 miles away .... probably pay £180 premium (less 15%) .... plus £340 rent. So not having a drive is costing me about £4 per week, or £6.54 if I want insurance.
I returned to Coast Insurance today, not quite the cheapest, but easiest to talk to. I asked if it was possible to insure thru them, but with a clause excluding claims for theft while van is in my preferred compound. The nice lady said if I could provide more details of the compound, she would put it to their underwriters. She also gave me the phone number of a company who might not have such stringent requirements.
So, Coast are the front runners until such time as they say they can't provide the cover I want.
Frankly, we don't wish to pay for alternative accomadation, or use of an alternative van ... we will make our own arrangements. They have already excuded me claiming for injury, due to age (and anyway I have accident insurance). I don't need third party cover, as that is included in my car policy (OK .... only when hooked up). I just want accident damage, theft, fire, and maybe flood would be sensible.
Fingers crossed.

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
Parksy - Moderator said:
The Camping & Caravanning Club offer a high level of cover for similar rates to that of the CC. They offer discounts for security measures such as wheel clamps, hitch-locks, alarms and tracking devices and although an address is needed where the caravan will normally be kept they can usually offer cover.

They also offer a 3rd option of cover called guaranteed value which guaretees you the price you bought a second hand van for
similer to new for old but for s/h vans

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Parksy - Moderator said:
The Camping & Caravanning Club offer a high level of cover for similar rates to that of the CC. They offer discounts for security measures such as wheel clamps, hitch-locks, alarms and tracking devices and although an address is needed where the caravan will normally be kept they can usually offer cover.

I have an awful memory but whilst i was a member of both clubs for 3 years, i seemed to have stuck with the C&C, so never noticed any "better high level of cover for similar rates" where the CCC was concerned
but i do know that the C&C also offers discounts for security measures. 35% no claims max, 10% alarm 10% tracking 10%wheel lock 10% trailer control 5% CaSSOA club storage 5% course, 15% voluntary excess .
upto 65% discount apparently. just copied that off my renewal
smiley-smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts