Insurance Query

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Hello fellow forumites, long time no speak! I have a question - we are currently experiencing issues with our tow car, Kia Sorento, and last week the starter motor went, so had a new one fitted, now the clutch is dodgy so we think a new one is needed and we had a front tyre blow out on the M5 last night! Scary stuff.

My question is - should we have to let our Caravan Insurers know if we are borrowing a different tow car to go away with at Easter out of courtesy or not?

Thank you. Llsa

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If it is a hire car, then Insurance is usually included, but check first.
If you are borrowing from a friend, then Yes, as your Insurance will only provide 3rd party Insurance on a borrowed car.

Always better to be safe knowing you are fully covered rather than finding out you are not, and the possible implications of that.

P.S. Nice to see you back on the Forum Lisa

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Thank you Damien, it belongs to a Porsche mechanic so he would have insurance on it but we will let the Caravan Insurers know out of courtesy to be on the safe side.

Many thanks.

Lisa

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lisa
Be careful.
Ensure either your friend has you and hubby added as temporary drivers to his own comprehensive policy. If it's not comp then ask your own insurers to add it to your policy as a temporary additional vehicle comprehensive cover.Anything less and at the very least you will be liable for damage to the borrowed vehicle. Don't take a cbance

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
As he owns a garage, the car is a courtesy given out to all those who leave their Porsches for repair (alright for some eh) and it is fully covered for any driver, plus we have cover on our Policy and the car is a 4.2 litre and has pulled a Toy Hauler so will be more than enough for our Swift, thankfully. Thanks for all your comments.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
You might find that courtesy cars do not allow you to tow with them as basically you are covering whatever you tow in case that hits something? Been in the same situation before when had a courtesy car, couldn't even insure it as we didnt own it.
The caravan insurance company have never asked me what car i use to tow it with?

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
No you don't need to advise the caravan insurers, they don't ask you what your tow vehicle is.
As you have stated the replacement tow vehicle is capable of towing your van.
Check that the towing vehicle's insurance covers it to tow if it does then have a good break.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
You need to know what your insurer asked you about modifications if you use your own insurance. If they ask if the car has been modified then you must say a tow bar is fitted. Most insurers will note this but not charge but a few do.
My insurers only want to know about modification affecting performance so are not interested in a tow bar.
with the friends insurance get a copy of the insurance certificate and check the terms. Remember it is your licence that is at risk if there is no cover and your bank balance if you have an accident.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts