Insurer wanted for caravan when I live in it during the week

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
We have a touring caravan although kept it in Dorset; liked the county so much we moved there at the end of last year. As I still work in Surrey (and have family in the South East) we moved the van so that during the week I have somewhere to stay and we have a base to visit family and friends. It is time to renew our caravan insurance, but as soon as it was mentioned that I stay in it Monday to Friday companies contacted say that it is used for business purposes and won't insure it.
Anyone know of a company that we can try? It seems crazy as with me around more I feel the security has improved, and we are not happy not having insurance
Carol

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Carol Bydand said:
We have a touring caravan although kept it in Dorset; liked the county so much we moved there at the end of last year. As I still work in Surrey (and have family in the South East) we moved the van so that during the week I have somewhere to stay and we have a base to visit family and friends. It is time to renew our caravan insurance, but as soon as it was mentioned that I stay in it Monday to Friday companies contacted say that it is used for business purposes and won't insure it.
Anyone know of a company that we can try? It seems crazy as with me around more I feel the security has improved, and we are not happy not having insurance
Carol

It is not being used as permanent residence so no need to tell them that you live in it Mon to Fri. If you are not using it for business, then there is no issue unless you want to create one by giving them more information that they need. We lived in ours permanently with no issue with insurance.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Surfer said:
Surfers suggestion is very dangerous as if you need to claim you may find the insurer feel they have been misled and refuse to pay. It is your duty to inform the in surer of all relevant information and if you do not you are in breach of that duty.
Carol Bydand said:
Carol

It is not being used as permanent residence so no need to tell them that you live in it Mon to Fri. If you are not using it for business, then there is no issue unless you want to create one by giving them more information that they need. We lived in ours permanently with no issue with insurance.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
All very sound advice!!

Why play Russian Roulette
smiley-undecided.gif

When my dad was dying some years ago I spent three months on a CL in North Devon. Ok . I went home a few times but the caravan stayed on site.
There is nothing in my CC policy that says I am limited to a maximum stay in any one place.
However for the peace of my own mind I did ask and was told no problem.
BUT not all caravan Insurers are as accommodating. DO NOT assume you are OK. For the sake of one quick phone call ask!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ray W is spot on.
Read up about "Disclosure" .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts