Internet / Wireless LAN

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I have read a number of posts regarding the use of satellite dishes to access the internet etc. This is very procey indeed. However I was wondering whether any site owners are starting to offer a Wireless LAN access so that residents can log onto the Internet using laptops in the caravans?

The use of a laptop would also solve the 12V TV problem too wouldn't it? My laptop can tune TV channels and play DVDs so the laptop could be the solution to these TV blues? Perhaps not, but it's a thought!

John

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
John,

I've heard of a few sites, and I'd love to be able to work from my Eriba on a Friday before enjoying the weekend, but there is an issue with distance - I use a wireless system at home with a small office at the bottom of the garden - about 50 metres away and that's about 1/2 the maximum broadcast distance - so I doubt if you would get great coverage, particulary from inside a metal box.

There is a new Wide Area Wireless Network system under development with a range of 30km, but this is a few years away yet.

Robert

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Hello Robert; yes distance is an issue but a few cleverly placed 'access points' and the distance can be enhanced substantially. Yes, the wireless network adapter may have to be set close toa windiow for good comms.

An easier option would be to provide an ethernet adapter in addition to power :) that would be simple and relatively inexpensive. Then, if you wanted Internet access you simply turn up with a few metres of Ethernet cable :) Sorted !!

(Would be nice thoug wouldn't it ?!)

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
John,

You are right, the thought of the site owner setting up multiple wireless access points with correctly configured SSID, Channel, WEP, etc., is slightly unrealistic.

Robert

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Robert; well it would be unrealistic if were were offering more than what I am saying. For example, my WLAN at home could allow access for up to (say) 25 simuiltaneous units. I do agree that if one assumed a serious number of on-line users then it would be unrealistic. But those who wanted access could pay a small surcharge. I am thinking about those sites with a main reception where it woud be great to strol up with one's laptop; doa bit of on-line stuff before returningt o get the water / empty the loo / buy the food and all thise other things we love about camping !!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Stephen/Robert

I looked into internet access a while ago for my wife who is studying for her MSc she is away for a week at a time and when I looked into hotel wireless access points, they charged between

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Matthew ; I guess all I am saying is that it wouldn't be wsuch a big deal to have a Worelss Broadband access point around the main part of the site so that thos eof us with laptops could access. It's not a big deal and the site would have to make it clear that Tech support was not available (can you imagine it ??!!). Howver it'd just be nice`to be able to stay connected .....

in a few years time we'll all laugh as all this will be so normal !!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not long come back from nearly three weeks at Camping Las Dunas on the Costa Brava. The site has wireless LAN and charges 3 euros for 2 hours access which works out at about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi John

The main problem is that that having a single access point would mean that you'll be hoodled around one area that would need to be under cover just in case it rained. You have to also remember that the cost of internet access for a business is much more then for home users as it's seen as been used to produce revenue and they have to guarantee a level of service, this along with adequate bandwidth to copy with the number of users.

The real issue is giving the site owners an incentive to do it, there needs to be a real demand, all you need to look at is the number of cyber cafes that close down shortly after opening because demand wasn't as expected; therefore needs to be able to pay for itself and to do this you need to invest in a decent system were users can access the network from their own caravan, this is usually done by large private companys who will install the equipement in a hope they can generate revenue and as Simon said this will be about the

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi John,

I use my phone via Bluetooth and GPRS to get internet access. Just talk to your airtime supplier, mine is with Vodafone and they were really helpful.

Matthew has a good idea as well with the 3G data card. Carphone Warehouse are doing some good deals at the moment. For 20UKP you get 75Mb download and the card costs 59UKP.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Mark

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts