intrnet prviders

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
just heard of that talk talk are joining tiscally, what a shame having a really good service off tiscally at the moment. had a nightmare service off talk talk prior to this and am already thinking of moving before it all starts again, (once bitten twice shy) anyone recomend a good provider.

all advice welcome

dave

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
dave,the carphone warehouse(who own talk talk)have just purchased Tiscali,nothing will change for a while and the talk is that it wont,you can also keep you Tiscali email address'

May 5, 2005
Visit site
Tiscali have been on the market for a while and Carphone warehaouse have made an offer but it has been referred to the monopolies commission for approvalwill prob take a few months to be sorted.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Tiscally do not have a good name around our area nor in some West Country areas.

Car Phone Warehouse is to be avoided at all cost for any service from what I've heard.

For Internet I think it's the area you are in, some areas are good for one provider but not for another. Luck of the draw. Nearly every one is on BT around us and we have never had problems. But they are still deciding about upgrading the exchange for 8GB service.

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Dave,

Do not discount Talktalk without subscribing to their user forum. I had terrible trouble with my connect to them in the beginning, I was getting a 0.5 meg connection. There are employees of Talktalk on the forum who are very helpful, listen to your problems and get them sorted out. Don't transfer to BT without trying the forum first, BT is certainly no better, been there, done that!

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Dont forget unless you have cable the broadband network is BT and they lease the lines from them.

With the old copper cable exchanges you are limited,image the internet as a fixed size pipe the more people use it the more congested it gets add in VoIP the slower it gets.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
cheers everyone

still hoping talk/talk don,t get involved with tiscalli. also had a bad experience with B/T.

had one problem with tiscally and it was sorted 1st time very stress free internet. the phone calls to t/t just wasn,t worth the hassle. so fingers crossed happy as i am stay away t/t

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Living in deepest Zummerzet where we've only just got rid of ladies pushing plugs into sockets to connect us with the rest of you, all the major suppliers - Tiscali, Talktalk BT etc. offeered totally unachievable speed at high prices when i enquired a year ago.

Eventually I went to plusnet (www.plus.com ) who were honest about the maximum spped i would get along the wet string which passes for a telephone line here and so far have provided an excellent service at a very reasonable cost. I don't think the particular deal I got is still available, but I can adjust the bandwidth and hence the cost - particularly good when going away for the winter.

Oh and the call centre is in Sheffield; (I was about to add some more but then thought i might have to Mod myself)

G

I am not a computer geek, but as far as I can see the main limiting factor in getting any speed with broadband, is your telephone line and the distance to the exchange. The old GPO copper cables were great in the 60's and 70's but not really up to speed for what they are now being asked to do. Many proividers offer high speeds but if they use the same telephone line, you are no better off.

The only option is therefore to get a fibre optic cable system to your home either through a new cable, or satellite. For the former, you also need the cables present in the street system, which is the case for most urban areas. I have been considering it through the Virgin offerings but I would need to be assured that the cable installation was neat and unobtrusive, as there is nothing worse than cable running across blank walls. Companies always assure you they have your best interest at heart, and then Joe Hammer their trained navvy comes along and just bangs it in anywhere. As the market is getting more competitve all the time I am inclined to wait a bit and see how cheap it gets.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
The future problem is the more the price comes down the less companies are willing to invest in new technology as they cannot recoup the investment.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Have been with Nildram for years who was owned by Tiscali but kept my Tiscali address but when things looked bit dodgy for Tiscali I changed to o2 as Which gives them top of anybody for everything. The change over was marvellous as Nildram was a monthly contract. I was paying

May 5, 2005
Visit site
apparently Tiscali (Italy) owe 200 million Euro loan and CPW wont proceed until this is resolved ,probably written off by bank.The Monopolies commission are expected to approve the merger as they would still be smaller than BT.The biggest complaint about service is not understanding the operators ,they outsource it to India,Indonesia and Romania with very poor results.SIL is a techie for Tiscali and is looking for new job even tho he feels job would be secure for 18 months ish but long term prospects very poor.

TRENDING THREADS