iphone and laptop

May 5, 2005
Visit site
am thinking of getting iphone with unlimited browsing(allegedly) and to save using touchscreen,as i am a bit clumsy, was wondering if it could connect to laptop when in caravan.Dont imagine i would use phone for internet any other time but who knows it might be better than i think.

Thanks a lot

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Having been through more than my fair share of Ipod failures O2 offered a Nokia N95 with unlimited internet allowance the same as they offer with the Iphone.

The Nokia has a touch and go feature for connecting to the intenet with a laptop and does what it says and it has a better camera system.

You can't change the Iphones battery and it's the size of a brick. My daughter is on her 2nd Iphone as the first had to be replaced and her laptop fell out with the Apple software. Some of my staff had also had problems and had numerous replacemnet Iphones. Steve Job's "I" range is over hyped in my opinion. Scrol wheels that pack in on Ipod, battery problems shared with Iphone and you can't change them. I've just got a Nokia N96 it seemlessly took over from my N95 and connected my laptop to the net with no jiggery pokery unlike Iphone.

I use the data connection a lot for browsing end email and have never had problems with the "unlimited" allowance even when browsing using it as my laptop modem.

My experience is that Nokia works. Iphone only works some of the time.

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi Dave

If you are not going to use the iphone on its own for internet, why get one? One of its main reasons for existing is its access to the internet. I think you can only get an iphone contract this way anyway.

or is it just a status thingy?

If you want to get access to the Internet when on-site, without having to hope they have wireless internet, then just get one of these USB modems. I think they are about

May 5, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Sadie and Ian for your comments,

Have ordered the iphone before i saw your comments but have 14days cooling off period so I'll check out the Nokia.Ian its far from a status thing wanted ipod anyway and have to have a phone for work and thought i would be able to use the iphone to order parts on site instead of doing it at night.Screen size is ok for a few minutes but wouldnt want a couple of hours on it in the van and thought i could use the inclusive browsing in my leisure time instead of paying the extortionate rates on site where its available or paying extra for a dongle.The bolt on for abroad use is not too dear and I could take a skype phone then and have free skype to skype calls(I think).I have to say that it is probably well hyped and I could have had the same thing off orange with a lot less hassle including a 23 minute call at National rate costing over

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Deli Dave, run Fring on Nokia or Iphone and you have Skype plus MSN etc on your mobile.

www.fring.com to down load the free Fring program for wifi phone. Ipod touch becomes a wifi internet phone if you add Fring to it,

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Dave,

Another option you may wish to consider is one I've just taken up: a netbook.

As you may already know, these are miniature laptops with screens of, typically, 8.9 or 10.2 inches.

In my opinion, they are no real substitute for a proper laptop, or desktop, but, for net-browsing on the go, checking emails and a bit of light word-processing etc, they're ideal.

I've recently signed up to Orange 3G mobile broadband. It's

May 5, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sadie,

Sorry to be a pain but did you have to jailbreak your iphone to get it to work as a modem.Have got the photos and music sorted,PAC done and waiting to be switched but am reluctant to hack the phone unless essential although it seems restoration is usually straightforward.Am adding it to card insurance anyway in case it gets damaged,seems very likely at the moment as i was tempted to throw it thro the window earlier :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts