Ireland

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
We have been experienced European travelers for years, but never set foot (or tyre)in Ireland!

.....so,we're of to Dublin on Friday and plan to spend a couple of weeks in the South of Ireland.

Would appreciate any tips. There are only six Caravan Club sites - what are they like? What are the roads in the South like for caravans.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Keith, some roads can be a bit rough, but the scenery and the Irish people make up for any inconvenience. Don't worry about it, just go, and enjoy. I'm quite envious, cos I can't get back there untill next year!

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Went to River Valley at Wicklow a few years ago, and couldn`t get away fast enough.

Lovely site, excellent facilities, until the Dubliners arrived on Friday night when it resembled a landfill site ( unzipped awnings/tents to throw rubbish out!), and the locals were really aggressive and unpleasant to my (then) teenage daughter and her friend in the recreation areas.

I decided :- beaches not as nice as Cornwall, hills not a patch on Cumbria, water not as nice as Scotland, food in pubs rubbish and expensive.

Why bother?

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Sorry Angus had such a negative experience. The Caravan Club sites are inspected and should be good.The ones I have been on are certainly good at Eagle Point and Glen of Aherlow. If there are only 2 of you there is a lovely adults only site at Lough Arrow near Boyle Co Roscommon. Beaches on the South and West of Ireland are certainly as good as Cornwall, mountains in the West are as good as Cumbria and like everywhere else you can be unlucky with food. I can also recommend Blarney Caravan Park near Cork and there are plenty of other sites as well that are good. I hope you have a wonderful holiday and if there is anything else you would like to know please post it. I am sorry that Northern Ireland is not on your itinerary as we have some wonderful sites and scenery here too.

Aug 14, 2007
Visit site
Ireland is a wonderful place to visit. You will really enjoy it. If going to Cork Kinsale has wonderful seafood restaurants. We stayed in Blarney at easter for a week. The site was spotless and the owners were really helpful. Pitty your not able to fit in a few days in the north as there are some wonderful sites. Just enjoy!

Karen

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Went to River Valley at Wicklow a few years ago, and couldn`t get away fast enough.

Lovely site, excellent facilities, until the Dubliners arrived on Friday night when it resembled a landfill site ( unzipped awnings/tents to throw rubbish out!), and the locals were really aggressive and unpleasant to my (then) teenage daughter and her friend in the recreation areas.

I decided :- beaches not as nice as Cornwall, hills not a patch on Cumbria, water not as nice as Scotland, food in pubs rubbish and expensive.

Why bother?
Angus, it's a bit harsh to condemn an entire country and it's people on one experience of one caravan site, isn't it? I'd say that you are probably in a minority of one!

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Emmerson,

I thought the idea of a forum was for members to express their views. That is what I have done, and whether my experience is line with anyone elses or not is irrelevent.

Keith asked a question, which I have answered honestly given my own personal experience. Have you been? If you have and your views are different then I may not agree with them but you entitled to air them on this forum, but you don`t appear to have done so. If you haven`t been then your views aren`t relevent so I shall treat them as such.

My kid brother goes to southwest Ireland every year in his van and loves it. I don`t but at least I`ve tried it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Angus, pull your horns in mate! it was a comment on your post, which, as you say I am entitled to make. Your post was a bit like a friend of mine who bought an estate car some years ago. It had a rattle in the back which the dealer couldn't find. Because of that, he will never buy another estate car. And yes I have been to Ireland. We spent a month in Southern Ireland two years ago, and found, as I said in my first post, that the people and scenery made up for any other shortcomiongs. I repeat, it's a fantastic place, with wonderful people.But that's just my opinion.

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Thank you all for your comments - even you Angus! I always think you have to listen to the negatives and positives as everyone has different views and likes and dislikes. We have come across the "problem" of busy Friday nights with locals before, especially in Spanish Seaside towns, and then on Sunday night all goes quiet again! ......and we might go to River Valley because, as you say, it has good facilities and it is conveniently near to Dublin.

Valerie and Karen, thank you for the extra site recommendations - might well look them up. We have always been the kind of people who do the research, but never commit ourselves to bookings - we like to be free to stay or move on when we feel like it - we think this is one of the greatest attractions of caravanning. We would love to visit the North as well (especially after seeing Eddie Irvine touring round in his Ferrari, showing off the wonderful scenery the other night on television)....but we have to be realistic - you can't see the whole of Northern and Southern Ireland in two weeks! That would not be doing it justice at all. We will probably concentrate on the Killarney area this time.

Thanks again - we are really looking forward to it now.

KeithJ

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Hi Keith,

If you do go to River Valley, there is a field for CC members.

It may not look the best if the site is empty, but if it fills up you will appreciate being there.

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Hi Keith

We are from southern Ireland and have spent a few lovely weekends in River Valley. We love it , great for kids especially.(The Dub thing is annoying but you have to laugh cos they park up for 6 mths on the one site visiting at the wkend thinking they own the place god love 'em!!)

Another good site we visit regularly is Camac Valley outside Dublin. So close to Dublin using the Luas tram I think you cannot fault this site. As Valerie said N Ireland has fantastic sites as well....only 50 miles up the road from Dublin!!

Slainte and safe journey.

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Brenda. I have found Carnac Vally details and printed them off. It looks perfect for the last couple of nights before catching the early ferry from Dublin port.

Unfortunately we won't have time to visit the North as well - but I am sure we will return.

Thanks again

KeithJ

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Although I agree with what has been said about the countryside, we found some roads a bit too narrow for comfort. Maybe the situation was made worse by driving with a left hand drive car but my wife got stomach cramps every time a bus came the other way.

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi Keith,

We have been to the whole of Ireland 3 times, for a month at a time, moving on after 3 nights at each stop finding the hospitality of the Irish exelent.

The first time we went we arrived at Dublin port at 7pm Sat night, it was just like driving in London with all the traffic so we now cross Pembroke - Rosslare over night.

The Irish caravan & camping council www.camping-ireland.ie will send you free a copy of their camp sites but I fear this is too late as you travel on Friday, but you will be able to pick up a copy from camp sites for 5 Euros. There are 85 sites listed this year.

Relax & have a good time because out of the cities life is so slow & if you need any thing in a hurry it might get done next week.

Graham W.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts