Is it Easy driving in France?

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi I am off to Les Plessis feu Assoux not far from Paris as I will be driving on the continent for the first time people tell me France is an easy place to drive in I will be there on Sunday 22 July please could those who have driven there before give me some tips as it would be much appreciated.

Mar 27, 2007
Visit site
hi anthony. yes it is a lot more easy than uk and apart from fridge lorries, hgv's are not allowed on the roads on a sunday and the motor way traffic is very light have a wonderfull time and remember pavement on your side. peter

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tony,

First of all have a great time in France.

I commute to Rotterdam - via Calais - on a regular basis, and there's a bit more to driving in France than just the physical act.

Away from Calais, you'll notice that driving on the motorway network is easy - traffic density is low - and by the time you get to Paris you should be experienced

You'll need your car insurance certificate and V5 or proof of ownership if this is a lease or company car, and the driving licenses of those who drive the car.

You'll need to adjust the car headlamps for European driving - either flip the UK to symmetric lever (if fitted) on the headlamps, or fit beam benders, or lower them all the way down (if you have headlamp control - least satisfactory)

GB stickers or the Euro numberplate (blue strip with GB on left hand edge) on both car and caravan.

A complete set of spare bulbs (Halfords) for the car is a good idea - if a bulb blows you should be able to fix it straight away - and this will save you a fine if pulled by the police for a faulty light

When driving into small towns, you may notice a yellow diamond (about 2ft on each edge) at the town outskirts - this means Priority from the right is now enforce - so expect drivers to pull out from side streets with warning - although most drivers check anyway. When you leave the town you'll notice the same yellow diamond crossed out - return to main road priority (like the UK).

The town sign often acts as the start of the town (50 kph) speed limit.

You'll be familiar with the other roads signs - these are standard throughout Europe

If you overtake on a motorway, you must return to the inside lane as soon as practical - lane hogging will be punished by the police.

At the same time you'll notice French drivers in the overtaking lane with their left indicator flashing - often in a stream of cars overtaking slower traffic - they are indicating that they intend to keep in that lane to overtake other slow traffic ahead - it's not a "get out of my way" - so don't get uptight if someone appears behind you with thier indicator flashing

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Can't add much to good advice from Rob, except that it would be a good idea to minimise other distractions for the first hour or two e.g. music, DVDs in the back seat.

Have your passenger take care when opening (UK) nearside door, easy to do so in a panic, straight into overtaking traffic.

At toll booths, (if you use the peage - and i would, as it's even easier than ordinary roads) you may have to take a ticket at some and pay at others. Prepare the passenger for this i.e. without a lapful of maps etc. The price will be displayed at eye lever, and there's not rush.

May 18, 2006
Visit site
Robert,

Quote -

If you overtake on a motorway, you must return to the inside lane as soon as practical - lane hogging will be punished by the police.

Oh, how I wish this was the case in our country. This makes driving in France a pleasure.

Excellent advise for driving in France.

Graeme.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Graeme,

Yes, it would be nice for people to make good use all three lanes on occasion.

And it's particularly important in France where a percentage of the motorways have only dual lanes - and then it's even more important to move back into lane.

Robert

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
At roundabouts, the yellow diamond indicates you have priority to anything coming from your left. A red inverted triangle, means you have to give way to traffic from the left. At a payage, don't go into a lane which has a red circle over the gantry as it is for lorries and the slots etc. are very high up!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts