Is it the end of the road for diesel?

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Will the government use the VW scandal to hike diesel prices and road tax?
Will diesel users become the pariahs of the road?
Will the value of our diesel towcars - and especially motor homes - plummet?
Is this a nightmare scenario or will it 'blow over'?

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
oldagetraveller1 said:
Will the government use the VW scandal to hike diesel prices and road tax?
Will diesel users become the pariahs of the road?
Will the value of our diesel towcars - and especially motor homes - plummet?
Is this a nightmare scenario or will it 'blow over'?
1. probably.
2. probably. but who cares.
3. don't think so, they might lose some value, but it comes down to supply and demand if petrols become more popular, then people will switch back to diesels,
4. it will all be forgotten when the next disaster strikes, there are more important things for the world to worry about, like the US and Russian planes having dog fights over Syria.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
If it turns out to be solely the VW group involved in this con, surely it will blow over and regulations will be tightened which will be all to the good.. " US, RUSSIA dogfights over Syria..umm seems the russians are learning how to play us at our own games .besides the US is too busy blowing up hospitals in AFGAN..now there's another of our intervention success stories !! Give me NOX anytime..

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I hope the government does not hit diesel as a result but they might see it as an opportunity to raise duty on diesels. I understand that 49% of new cars registered up to the news were diesel so it would upset a lot of owners and might be politically unwise so we will have to see what happens.
It does seem that most if not all diesels produce worse figures on the road than the lab but not clear if the others were cheating so we will have to wait.
From what I have read the VW decision to cheat was not because of technical problems with getting the figures they wanted but purely to save money as the additional equipment would have added another £200 to the cost of production, but this seems to have been a false economy now. We just have to hope the competition did fit the additional equipment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts