Is it worth joining one of the clubs?

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
We get our new caravan on the 6th Feb, our first caravan since 2005.
Is it worth joining one of the caravan clubs these days? Unless you are going to always use one of their sites is there a lot of point?

I'm undecided.

Cheers,

Ricky

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
I think the biggest assets the clubs have are their CL and CS networks, but also their opportunities for rallying, THS's, breakdown cover and insurance deals. For us they both pay for themselves many times over each year.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I'm in both. Their magazines alone are worth it.
Both have excellent caravan insurance schemes and of course the sites, not forgetting the Cls and CSs. They also have lots of other good things useful to a tugger.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
If you intend to stay only on larger commercially run sites and have insured your caravan elsewhere then club membership may not be for you.
As already mentioned though, the certified networks of sites run be either club provide opportunities to visit quieter rural sites away from large towns, bars, swimming pools and amusement arcades, rallies provide inexpensive opportunities to use your caravan to it's maximum potential, sometimes in places that you wouldn't normally be allowed to stay on and either of the club insurance organisations set the standard for others to follow.
Some years ago we bought our first ever factory fresh brand new caravan which we insured 'new for old' with the C&CC.
Three months after we took delivery our caravan was written off in flooding but our C&CC insurance took the stress and worry from this bad situation with their highly professional prompt no quibble approach. We continue to insure with them and have no hesitation in recommending Club Care insurance and we continue to be members of the C&CC.
I should imagine that the Caravan Club have similar high standards so which one to join is a matter of personal preference.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
ricky_s said:
We get our new caravan on the 6th Feb, our first caravan since 2005.
Is it worth joining one of the caravan clubs these days? Unless you are going to always use one of their sites is there a lot of point?

I'm undecided.

Cheers,

Ricky

A lot depends on the type of caravanning you plan to do, as Parksy has said.I'm in both, because I like their CL/CS sites, and I also use the Caravan Club's travel service for ferry bookings, but not the European recovery which I find much too expensive.
But beware, on the three occasions when I've had problems with the CC, I've found them unhelpful and arrogant to deal with!

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
We joined both, but have personally had better experience on CC sites than C+CC sites.
We found CC sites cleaner and more up to date, and the staff weren't jobsworths, which was our finding with the other club.
Guess it's all personal.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Have to agree a lot depends on how you want to use the caravan. If you want full facility sites with swimming pools clubs and the rest the clubs are not for you. If you want well maintained and well run sites without these or small sites for just a few caravans then the clubs provide this.
Looking at the clubs the CC provides usually immaculate sites maintained to the highest standards and you get the freedom to choose your own pitch from those of the type booked. The C&CC sites are a bit less immaculate but well run and you are shown to a pitch although if you do not like it you can get another.
Depends on your point of view but C&CC sites mix caravans and tents on pitches where the CC does not.
To me the CC magazine is far better with more decent articles. The C&CC offering ties to cover far too much and ends up falling short in most areas.
Both have very good overseas travel, giving discounts on ferries and insurance and other services including breakdown cover including caravan cover you cannot easily get elsewhere plus a legal helpline.
There is no right answer to the question it just depends on what you want out of your caravan.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.......I would definitely join one of the big two clubs.
My advice would be to try both and see which one suits you best.....I belonged to one for 18years and then had some issues so left and joined the other.
The new club I find much better in many ways and regret not joining them sooner.......I find them quite a bit different in the way the club and sites are run.
It is definitely horses for courses.

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
we joined CC and are currently enjoying our first trip to one of their sites at Chatsworth....standards are very high....no regrets here

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Cc , lots off sites well maintained and clean and great helpful staff , we had a big problem last year in France with our van , the club were great in sorting it out within a few hours , loads off cl sites for cheap get aways - if your a member , we visit our regular Yorkshire cl site quite often for £12 a night ! Pay the subs but you'll get that back throughout the year in savings that you'll make when touring.
Happy travels .

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm a member of the C+CC and have the van insured through them. We are looking at the CC as a means of accessing more sites.
I have had no issues with the C+CC sites we've used and agree that it's all personal preference as to what suits.

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
We belong to both big clubs. We ad been a member of the C&CC on and off for a few years because we used to camp in the New Forest a lot and the cost of membership was more then justified by the pitch fee discounts that we received. We took our caravan insurance out with them. We joined the CC because we wanted access to some of their site over the winter and the cost of membership was equivalent to the non-member surcharge for two weekends staying at one of their site. Simple maths to be honest.

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Thanks everyone, some good advice there.

Looks like it is a good idea to join one or the other, had been a member of the CC many years ago and did sometimes fall out with the wardens but I'm a bit older now. :) I quite liked most of the rules but the closing the loos just when I wanted to use them was very annoying.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We joined both clubs, and then didnt use the club sites for several years but used cl's / cs's. Now looking at the way some cl's prices are going up and able to get age concessions for over 55 etc the club sites are getting more favorable except that most of the club sites are a bit away from "local" pubs which we like to walk our dogs too. But still worth joining.
Hutch.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Just had the renewal notice for our 6th year with the C+CC, only stayed on a couple of there sites and done one rally in that time, but we insure the van with them and also have there RAC Arrival policy which we are happy with.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Hope you enjoy your membership.
Don't discount belonging to both in the future.
Mayday recovery is well worth looking at. If you give rallying and CL's a go you could find holidaying and weekending a whole lot cheaper and more of an opportunity to make new chums into the equation.

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
It depends if you intend going abroad where both Clubs have excellent Insurance cover,we belong to both as we use their Club Sites and CL/CS's in the UK. By being a member of both, you will have a tremedous amount of sites to choose from, as it's sods law, as we have found if you select a specific area only one of the Clubs will have a site in your chosen area, sounds expensive but you get a monthly magazine that would cost you the price of membership if you bought it at a newsagent.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts