Is the tide turning?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Diesel prices appear to be decreasing . Local Asda now £1.57. Is this a glitch or a welcome trend?
Not looking for a “price list”😉

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Think it’s a trend as the risks in the middle east appear to have been factored into prices which have reduced. . Our petrol at local Esso is £1.489 dispel 11 pence more.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Our local prices have gone down a couple of pence - all the local supermarkets are the same price (within 0.2p/litre) but it seems to be the independent Texaco garage that's the first to lower their price each time.

There's still significant price variation around the country - by doing a bit of pre-planned research I filled up at Sainsburys in Peterborough on a day trip to Norfolk as it was 5p/litre cheaper than my local supermarkets, which includes Sainsburys.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On average about £1.59 for diesel around Worcestershire. I need to fill up this week and the Jeep will take about 40 litres so probably about £65. Instead of inheritance tax cuts etc, they should be cutting fuel duty as that will stimulate the economy even more!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
On average about £1.59 for diesel around Worcestershire. I need to fill up this week and the Jeep will take about 40 litres so probably about £65. Instead of inheritance tax cuts etc, they should be cutting fuel duty as that will stimulate the economy even more!
The last cut in fuel duty did not filter down to Joe the Driver.

Our Morrisons is now £1.449 for petrol. Prices have dropped further over the last few days.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Is the varying price of rapid charging any different to the varying price of road fuel?
Its a bit different in that it doesn't vary by geography, but does vary by vendor. I.e. Gridserve are 69p/kWh across the whole country. Shell might be 89p/kWh. Discounts can be achieved with subscriptions to services or by paying with a card associated with a power network (like Octopus energy).
Doesn't charging at work class as a benefit same as if the employer pays for your diesel?
If you don't do the company milage you should end up paying tax on it
HMRC does not regard Electricity as a fuel (for cars). There is an explicit exemption for BIK for employees charging cars at work. Essentially its the same as charging your phone at work, if your employer lets you do it, HMRC are not interested.
Of course your employer may be more or less generous and may ask you to pay, or not. Thats up to them.

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have Petrol Prices service and this shows big drops in some fuel stations. Round here Morrisons looks the best I would pass, with one Tesco a penny more. What is clear that supermarkets vary the price even for ones close together, so you are clearly being fleeced, as I can see no obvious reason than it is what they can get away with.

Reactions: ProfJohnL

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts