is this a bargan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hello everyone,i,ve never towed a caravan before but have always wanted one and now i have a young family and not much money i,ve decided to buy one.ihave been to view a 1990 swift pirouette the outside is in decent condition except for a couple of windows cracked the inside is very worn and needs a good bit of cosmetic work,the floor feels weak in a couple of places but i think i can sort this, the seller wants 400 for it,i couldnt smell any damp inside and the chassis looked sound could anyone please tell me if this sounds cheap or expensive as i dont have a clue. thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sounds as though the van would cost a bit to put right.New windows are expensive and the spongy floor could be a sign of delamination, that in itself is an expensive job and unless you have previous knowledge of this type of work, is best left to the experts. Reckon that the repairs would far outweight the cost of the van. Better I think to pay a bit more for a van with less faults. Mind you, you only get what you pay for.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Iwould agree with Gordon, I would suggest you take your time alittle, go around the dealers to see what the prices are then decide how much to spend then look for your van. If you still feel that you want buy private there is an article in this months PC with some good advice. Hope this helps

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To me the price seems quite cheap but from what you say the caravan has had quite a bit of use if the inside looks "worn". I have a 1987 Lunar Micron which still looks good inside so it is possible to find a good old 'un. With older Caravans it helps if you are handy with DIY as you do tend to get the odd thing or two falling off or needing replacing but the beauty of the older caravan is that there is not usually much to go wrong. Keep in mind that the better the equipment level, the more things there are to malfunction. Look around a few before you make your mind up, its a buyers market with the older vans.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Reading your report regarding the condition of it I must agree with Gordon. The cost of repairs, even as a DIY will be expensive - leave it there and look around there are far better bargains to be had. Look in the small ads of your local paper and also visit caravan sales sites to see what else is on offer. This van is TROUBLE. Good luck

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The thing with vans like this and 1st time enthusiasm is that the whole business of repair, improve, tinker, fettle etc can become an end in itself at the weekend!Its not just your repair skills here, but the time consumed in doing the work....

Even our well maimtained 98 van needs small items attending to on a regular basis

I agree with Gordon on this-add the money you would have to spend on repairs to the

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Pat,

Save your hard earned cash and look for something better.Visit a few local caravan dealers you will find something,be patientand do not rush into anything you WILL find a caravan which suits both your pocket and your requirements.Good luck and a warm welcome to caravanning.Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Pat... It doesn't sound that good a deal !! I have a 91 swift challenger I look after it as I look after my japanese porcelain geisha....you won't find any problems that with mine, the biggest problem youv'e said is, the floor seems weak. walk away it could be delaminated and that would cost more than the van to put right.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Of course it's horses for courses to some extent. In the context of the price you pay to stay (for example) in a ready erected tent or static van with one of the larger companies, then 400 quid is Ok even if it only lasts a couple of seasons. Not worth spending a lost of cash doing bits to it unless you are sure it's sound dry and damp free. Windows are expensive, difficult to obtain and to match. Your main concern would be a guarantee of roadworthiness from the dealer.

TRENDING THREADS