Is this a joke?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It actually demonstrates how out of touch the CAMC is with its members. Tow car of the year is a Porsche Cayenne Hybrid! How many of us could afford or even if we wanted a Porsche?
I would love a Porsche Cayman as two seats are more than adequate for us. Nearest I got to Cayman was almost buying a Subaru BRZ but head overtook heart, so settled for a Forester XT.

• Haha
Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Even a Bentley SUV is on the list. Not sure why they did not include the Aston Martin SUV?

If you could afford a Porsche Cayenne, Bentley etc would you be using a caravan?

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
So many people lease cars these days and I've wondered if this is why I see lots of posh cars on the road driven by dipsticks.

Reactions: Jonny
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Even a Bentley SUV is on the list. Not sure why they did not include the Aston Martin SUV?

If you could afford a Porsche Cayenne, Bentley etc would you be using a caravan?
Yes. An Airsteam as seen in Santander port after a trip to northern Spain. The couples dog travelled in the passenger footwell where air could be directed via a valance and they did admit to the engine running a little warm on some of the long climbs 21 Jun 2015 12-29.jpeg

Reactions: GaryB and RogerL
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I would love a Porsche Cayman as two seats are more than adequate for us. Nearest I got to Cayman was almost buying a Subaru BRZ but head overtook heart, so settled for a Forester XT.
I'm not sure the Cayman sports car can tow anything - the TCOY is the Cayenne - big SUV, a close relative of the VW Touareg.

I can't help thinking that VW Group is missing a trick by not building a 2.0 TDi hybrid Touareg as an "economy" version of the Cayenne hybrid which is clearly designed for performance - but instead VW offer a hybrid performance version of the Touareg to compete with Cayenne.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure the Cayman sports car can tow anything - the TCOY is the Cayenne - big SUV, a close relative of the VW Touareg.

I can't help thinking that VW Group is missing a trick by not building a 2.0 TDi hybrid Touareg as an "economy" version of the Cayenne hybrid which is clearly designed for performance - but instead VW offer a hybrid performance version of the Touareg to compete with Cayenne.
I do know the difference between a Cayman and Cayenne. I was responding to the last sentence in Buckman's post 1, which was a general question on Porches, not specific to the Cayenne.

Sep 2, 2023
Visit site
How can the 'average' man in the street can afford some of these cars as even average looking small SUVs are in the £50k - £70k bracket. Not sure how much disposable income / savings car manufacturers think we've got.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
How can the 'average' man in the street can afford some of these cars as even average looking small SUVs are in the £50k - £70k bracket. Not sure how much disposable income / savings car manufacturers think we've got.
Have you seen the price of caravans these days? Coachman and Buccaneer have models in excess of £50,000.

There's some money somewhere but it seems to bypass me!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Have you seen the price of caravans these days? Coachman and Buccaneer have models in excess of £50,000.

There's some money somewhere but it seems to bypass me!
The new Buccaneers are just under £47000, but still a hefty price. No wonder new caravan sales are dropping but once can be assured that some traditions will remain like poor quality. At least it is an expensive poor quality. :ROFLMAO:

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The new Buccaneers are just under £47000, but still a hefty price. No wonder new caravan sales are dropping but once can be assured that some traditions will remain like poor quality. At least it is an expensive poor quality. :ROFLMAO:
There's 3 Buccaneers on Autotrader over £50,000

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I’ve often wondered why caravan production, which is labour intensive, of very poor quality, isn’t subbed out to China.? It not all rubbish that reaches our shores😉

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I don't know, but perhaps they are offering earlier delivery.

John
That may be true although unlikely someone would spend and extra £3400 on the chance of an earlier delivery. The first lot of2024 Buccaneers will only come off the line for delivery at end of this month. That is of course if they have all the parts to assemble the caravan.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A mid engined two seater as a tug, wind in the hair 😎😎
Neither Cayman nor Subaru were soft tops. But having little hair I would strive to preserve it for a while longer. I’ve never seen the attraction of soft tops as even with our old 2CV I kept the lid closed as full sun made it uncomfortable warm.

Aug 3, 2023
Visit site
I see plenty of Landrover Defenders and Disco's, Range Rovers, Land Cruisers, Lexus, Mercedes, VW Caravelles and Tuaregs, etc, etc. towing caravans. All of those manufacturers have models more expensive than a basic Cayenne.

Is someone with a cheaper car towing an expensive caravan equally worthy of criticism as a caravanner that chooses a Cayenne and maybe a cheaper caravan? Is the CAMC wrong to include cars for all budgets in their reviews?

No, I don't have a Cayenne, just wanted to be an advocate of the devil 😈

Reactions: RogerL
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
There's a very wide variation in the proportion spent on a caravan compared to that spent on a car, and rightly so - personally, I put much more money into the car than the caravan but others put more into the caravan, it's just a matter of personal choice.

Reactions: izzy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts