Is this Monza 1200s vintage or classic?

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
Hi all.

Just after some info, as to if a Monza 1200s is a vintage or classic? Myself and my missus are collecting this on Monday.

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Hi Dave,
She looks a proper beauty, and I hope you have a lot of fun with her.
I'm no expert on Vintage or Classic etc but would probably settle for "mature"

Someone here will surely be able to define the exact terms in general use, but stand by for some interesting views, argument etc
Happy Caravanning
paws

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Wow, lucky you Dave. We had the 1200ct model from the same year. It was our first family van in 1981/2. No heating or electric, a manual foot pump for the water, no loo. Dad put in 12v and after our first holiday in March had a heater fitted. We covered some miles in that van. From Leicester furthest North to North Yorkshire, then Wales, East Anglia and south to Dorset, Devon and Cornwall.
I hope you enjoy you van as much as we did.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Probably a classic. They were one of the models that brought caravans to the mass market. Hope you enjoy your holidays in it.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
We had the 1400ck (same colour scheme) We bought it new in 1982, apart from delaminated floor was an excellent cheap family van . Kept it 11 years! (don't do that now!) still see a few about of that colour, so that must be some sort of recommendation.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Its a Classic, and deserves to be cherished, and its new owners must become members of the Retro Caravan Club, post haste! Enjoy your new find.

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
Hi all.

We are now the new owners of this Monza 1200s and its not to bad but it does have issues.
Like the rear road lights:-
The front marker lights work and the number plate lights work but the rear indicators, brake lights, tail lights, fog lights don't work. There is nothing wrong with the tow cars socket, so I'm thinking that maybe someone has wired those lights to the grey cable instead of the black cable.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
As it's an older van then take off the lenses and check for rust on the bulb sockets. We had a similar problem on an old Lunar and damp had got in via perished seals.

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
Hi all.

Been busy with the caravan as we are hoping to get away soon. Checked the lights, the rear light wiring looked dodgy and rusty and I also checked the 12n plug the inside was a mess and soaking wet, so I replaced the 12n plug and I'm going to change the 12s plug too. I've decided to replace the old rear light units with led light units, as I've searched everywhere for the original lights but they are hard to find.

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
Here is what I've done so far.

Removed the old rear light clusters, as they were pretty dirty and couldn't get replacements.

Replaced the rear light clusters for rear led light units.

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
The old screw holes are going to be filled with fibreglass and rubbed down then painted.

Next job is a full new rewire of the lights with brand new 7 core cable.

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
Update. Had to do a full rewire of the road lights, as someone had wires going from the 12n cable (black) to the 2s cable (grey) I've had to move the led light units too, so these are now positioned on the plastic section near the warning triangles. Just got to rewire the 12s system and it will be good to go.

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
Hi all.

Been really busy of late but here is an update. I replaced all of the towing lights with LEDs and rewired the lights from the units to the plug with brand new cable plus I replaced and rewired the grey cable and plug too and now everything is working great. We've also been on holiday last month with the caravan and Frontera without any issues. We went to Brightlingsea Essex then Aldershot to see the wife's eldest daughter and son in law then back to Scotland. I will be posting our holiday snap's up soon.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Looks like you are doing some fantastic work there. Can I suggest you post more about your upgrades and work in the technical section of this forum as I think a lot more folks will look at them there.
Keep up the good work
Mel

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
The only thing that will be getting changed is the décor so it's abit more lighter inside and wrap the cupboards with a vinyl wrap either wood effect but not sure yet.

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
Hi all.

Here is an update on our Monza caravan, we sold it as we needed a bigger caravan and now we have a 2012 Sterling Eccles ES Solitaire 4 berth caravan.

Mar 15, 2020
Visit site
Anyone want a Monza 1200S in Norfolk. It may be scrap, door frame is rotten and an attempt was made to remove the sink unit. If anyone is interested let me know and I will take some pics. It has stood for about 10 years.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts